EXPLAINING SUB-GROUPS

**Louisiana/Gulf Creole**     Louisiana Creoles are people descended from the inhabitants of colonial Louisiana, coastal Mississippi, Coastal Alabama and SE Texas) before it became a part of the United States during the period of both French and Spanish rule. As an ethnic group, their ancestry is mainly of Louisiana French, West African, Spanish & Native American origin.

**Mascogos**    Their ancestors were African Americans who escaped from the United States to Mexico in the 19th century, fleeing the slave trade for a desert village at the base of the Sierra Madre mountains.

**Afro Seminole**    The Black Seminoles, or Afro-Seminoles are Native American-Africans associated with the Seminole people in Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas. They are mostly blood descendants of the Seminole people, free Africans, and escaped slaves, who allied with Seminole groups in Spanish Florida

**Gullah Geechee**  The Gullah Geechee people are the descendants of West and Central Africans who were enslaved and bought to the lower Atlantic states of North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, and Georgia to work on the coastal rice, Sea Island cotton and indigo plantations.

**The Merikins or Merikens** were African-American Marines of the War of 1812 – former African slaves who fought for the British against the US in the Corps of Colonial Marines and then, after post-war service in Bermuda, were established as a community in the south of Trinidad in 1815–1816.

**Americo Liberian** Americo-Liberian*community is affirmed on this date in 1820.  Called Congo people or Congau people in Liberian English are a Liberian ethnic group of African American, Afro Caribbean, and Liberated African descent.

**Afro nova Black Nova Scotians** (also known as African Nova Scotians and Afro-Nova Scotians) are Black Canadians whose ancestors primarily date back to the Colonial United States as slaves or freemen, later arriving in Nova Scotia, Canada, during the 18th and early 19th centuries.

**The Samaná Americans** are a minority cultural sub-group of African American descendants that inhabits the Samaná Province in the eastern region of Dominican Republic.

**Afffrilachian** - African Americans who are natives or descendants in the Appalachian regions such as Alabama, Tennessee, etc

**YMI/Young Men Illinois** are AAs from Illinois

**New York American/Ameris** are African Americans who were moved/traveled to New York after/during slavery.

**New Jersey American/Ameris** are African Americans who were moved/traveled to New Jersey after/during slavery. **(Both NY/NJ Americans are also referred to as Northeast Atlantic Creoles)**

**Mississippi Creole** Mississippi Creoles are people who are African American descendants from their ancestors who lived in Mississippi during/after the Slave Trade

**Exodusters** Exodusters are the names of people whose ancestors had participated in the migration from the Mississippi River to Kansas during the Exoduster Movement or Exodus of 1879.

**Afro-Chesapeakes/Tidemen** are the descendants of African Americans who lived near the Chesapeake Bay/DMW (District of Columbia, Maryland, Virginia).

**Western Creoles** Western Creoles are American slave descendants from California or partly from the West in general