6 years

October 21st, 2023

In four days it will be six years since my wonderful step father passed away from a horrible cancer. I was there by his bedside as my mother held his hand, and he took his last breath here on this earth. He battled the cancer for a good year before it spread to his brain. My step dad was an angel sent from heaven to protect my mom, brother and myself.

My heart still feels shattered when i think back on the week of hell we all went through. I remember getting a call on a sunday saying that my dad was being put into hospice and that i needed to come home. So i did what any good daughter would do and packed a bag, my dog, and drove to my parents house. I remember feeling an eerie feeling that everything in life was about to change.

Family members and friends were called in, and we all gathered around his bed side sharing memories and stories. He cut up and laughed with us some but mostly he slept exhausted from the battle he had gone through with surgeries and chemo.

Ive never had to be so strong in my life but there i was being the rock for a man that had saved my mom. See before we found out he had cancer two weeks before my mom had gone through a liver transplant. My step dad stayed by her side every moment of the day and nursed her back to health to only find out he was sick himself.

If soulmates do existed I think god put my step dad in our lives to show my brother and I that with our mom. She had been through hell and back raising us by herself for the most part for this man to come in and love her unconditionally but her children as well as though they were his own. My step dad didnt have step children we were his.

My step dad showed me how a woman was supposed to be treated by a man, and what to look for in a relationship. I am forever grateful for the life lessons he taught me in the twenty years i got to be in his life. I know i wasnt the easiest child to love but he loved me extra hard on the hard days.

October 24th doesnt get any easier for my family, not even 6 years later. I look at his picture fondly with a little less tears in my eyes but my heart still breaks for what my mom lost. My dad was her person and now she has to learn how to go through life with out him. ITs a pain that i dont wish on my worse enemy.

Dad, i wish you could be here with us, to see the adventures we go on. I wish you could meet my partner and see the things we are accomplishing. You would be so proud of mom with how hard she is working, and taking care of herself. Please know we would do anything to have you back here with us. Its just not the same without your smile or hugs. Give nanny a kiss and a hug for us. See you soon