The Unravelling

"Hold that rope Lewis!" David shouted at him as the boat went up and down with the aggressive waves crashing against the boat and in an instant the next moment everything went black and he found himself drowning in the ice cold water trying to come above the waves with his head. He felt cold, ice cold and he was shivering, his whole body in pain.

"Love" he felt a warm hand on his shoulder shaking him more, the voice was a familiar one making him want to open his eyes but it was so difficult to do what he wanted it was like he had no control whatsoever over his body.

"Sweeney"

"Sweeney"

Finally his eyes shot open and he could see Nellie before him. She placed her hands on his cheeks and then on his forehead. "You're shaking, did you have a nightmare?" Her voice sounded concerned to see him shiver like this and placed her hand on his forehead to see if he had a fever.

Frowning his eyebrows he pulled his head away not understanding what she was doing. Nellie gave a breath of relief when she could feel he had no fever. "Maybe you're blanket was too thin" she took her blanket from the settee and put it on him.

"I'm alright Eleanor" He cleared his throat because he was just awake. The more she coddled him, the worse he felt. Therefore he wasn't telling her he was still having the same nightmare over and over not wanting to seem weak.

"I know love, just let me help you" supporting his neck she helped him sit up and placed pillows behind his back. "Good morning" she smiled lovely at him. She didn't want to put pressure on him knowing how he lashed out there was nothing and she was making a fuss about everything, so she thought to let him be until he was ready to tell her what was going on.

When she stood up Sweeney realized the delicious smell that was coming from the kitchen. Had she made some pastries for breakfast? It was smelling good. She gave him a tray which disappointed him, as he saw it was eggs with bacon, roasted bread and a cup off tea. Not that it wasn't good, he expected something sweet, he wouldn't admit but he found her fruit pies rather good. Maybe he was wrong in his assumption of it something sweet. As he began eating he watched her go to the kitchen and come back with two baskets full of apple tarts and other pastries, so he wasn't wrong at all.

They looked delicious as she put a cloth over them. Why had she made so much and even when did she wake up to make all of these? It must have been early, he didn't know but they looked delicious. Never before had he craved sweet things but after they married she kept baking for him and he got used to her pastries. They were delicious, it was a big difference from in the beginning. He definitely preferred her new pastries to the old meat pies.

"Here you are" she crouched down and give the little cat some food. The little cat that sat in the corner of the house "Don't be afraid love" she rubbed his head that was when the cat came out of the corner and rubbed himself against her skirts. "I call you Oscar" she said the first name that came to her mind petting the cat further "Do you like it?" She asks wanting to keep the cat. In all of  houses the cat came to stand in front of her porch that means something she thought. Since yesterday the cat kept crawling in to tis corner between the wall and the sideboard she didn't know why. But Sweeney knew, he knew how the cat runned away when he had yelled, it was was afraid of him.

Good now she had a name for the cat, no doubt it is a permanent guest. Soon it would be a baby, a cat and a crippled he though to himself eating his eggs. Just as he was thinking to himself watching the two someone nocked at the door.

"There she is!" Nellie stood up protecting her belly instinctively now it was growing the more her pregnancy was progressing. Sweeney frowned as he watched her going to the door, who was she expecting?