A Bruise

By the time we pulled up to the new house it was already dark, I finally got some rest on our drive up here being able to take a couple hour nap. Grateful I only had some short flashbacks today, things like him playing with his dog Dakota when he was a puppy, or drawing pictures of his mom and dad. But I also a present day dream, him laying in his bed on his phone watching a video of his dad before he passed away. I only ever see what's happening current day when I'm asleep, throughout the day all I see are memories.

Garretts dad passed away two years ago when we were both sixteen. Last year on September 10th I got a present day dream of his birthday, that's when I realized we were the same age. When Garretts Dad passed the memories stopped for a few weeks, but that's when I first got a present day dream and it was of him with his dad at the hospital as the machine flat lined. Just thinking about it makes me tear up, remembering how he felt.

The house is a 4 bedroom 4 bathroom contemporary house, with an open concept main floor and a pool in the back yard. We got to see the floorplan before we moved, and the room I chose is upstairs and has two windows facing the street

The movers are an hour or so behind us so we just have to wait. All that was packed in the car was essentials in case the movers couldn't come until tomorrow. I pulled out my stuff and decided to unpack my bathroom box into the new bathroom. The whole house felt so empty, I felt numb of all emotion. Moving from drawer to drawer as if set on autopilot.

Placing the last item from the large box into a drawer I heard a knock at the door. The door opened with a creak and my mother was talking to someone. After a few minutes I made my way downstairs hopefully mom got dinner ready, with all my napping in the car I never ate lunch and food is my life so I'm like going through withdrawals I swear.

Lucky for me there was food on the counter, mom made chicken alfredo, which is pure heaven in case you didn't know. I dished myself up a large portion onto one of the paper plates we'd brought.

As I was finishing dinner I heard the movers show up

Finally

All I wanted to do was get my bed into my room. Everything else could sit on the lawn for all I care, im just way to tired for this.

~~~~
Two hours later and everything was finally inside and my bed was in my bedroom. I'd left everything else on the main floor, I'll handle it tomorrow.

After finding my pillow and blanket, and pulling a pair of pajamas out of my bag I crawled into bed. Trying not to worry about anything else. But that was much easier said than done. As soon as my head hit the pillow I no longer felt tired.

My mind started racing, thinking through every situation I could possibly imagine. School was supposed to start in a week and I was so not ready to go to a new school. Ive heard great things about Castlemont High, but great things don't always mean great outcomes. I'm worried I'm not gonna make new friends here, I had a really small circle of people back in LA, a lot of people called me insane or a liar because of my flashbacks. But maybe things will be different this time, maybe I won't just be the crazy girl and people will see me for me. Doubt it, but a girl can hope.

"Did you see those big moving trucks down the street Cole" I said to him as he cleaned the kitchen, mom had gone to sleep already, tiring herself out with all her yelling "whoever just moved in must be rich!"

"Yeah I saw them" he said, obviously not interested.

I've tried to keep hope for a really long time, hope in a better future, hope in our mother. But Cole lost that hope a long time ago, sometimes I envy his ability to just not care anymore. Mom used to be better, but when Dad died she got so angry. Angry at him for leaving us in a sense, but mostly just angry at the world. She let her anger and hurt come before anything else...even us. Eventually that anger was all that was left of her. She quit her job to live off Dads money. We were lucky enough to receive a lot from him, and me and Cole each have a trust waiting for us when we turn 21. It's something Coles been waiting for for a long time, he turns 21 next month and I know he'll be out of here as fast as he can.

It's not that Cole doesn't care about me, but he knows I can handle myself. He's there for me when I need it, but he's always encouraged me to never need anyone. So those moments where we bond are very few and far between now.

I remember when we were both young. Things were so different back then, his smile was my favorite thing. Cole is my role model so seeing that smile no longer surface was almost as heartbreaking as Dads death.

I woke up to chest pain, almost as if someone was ripping my heart in two. I've often felt things Garrett feels but never to this extent. My face burned with pain, and my throat felt raw. I turned over and reached for my phone, hoping to see a decent time on the clock but was unfortunately not that lucky, it read back 4:53. Even worse than last night.

With pain still over taking me I tried to find ibuprofen in my bathroom in the dark. But I should've known I'm definitely not that talented and eventually accepted defeat and turned on the light deciding I was already too awake anyway. I began riffling through the drawers again wondering where I couldve put it when I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror.

Across my cheek right where I felt the burn a bruise was forming. A dark purple and green bruise...
right where Garretts mom hit him.

~~~~~
Dont forget to vote and Comment!

What are your theories and thoughts!?

More to come!