04. opposite day 🕰️

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

After two weeks of begging, crying and making drawings demonstrating to them that going to school is a safe option, my parents finally let me go to high school.

"Remember. You have to go with Andrew. He'll pick you up, he'll take you back. You don't leave his sight, do you understand? If he wants to go somewhere, he'll first get you home and then leave. You have no excuse." My mom told me that for the thousandth time this morning.

I nod, again, my head starting to hurt from doing too often. "Yes, mom, I understand. I promise I'll be good." I would be the perfect child the world has ever known.

"Good! If you make a mistake, everything will go back to the way it was. No high school, no outside world and this time no Andrew."

"No Andrew?" Man, they know how to make me keep my word. I would go insane if I couldn't see Andrew anymore. Just stuck with my parents. I'll probably go mad.

"No Andrew." She said it in a serious tone and I knew she meant it. Mom usually is calm and has a soft voice. When her voice becomes serious, then you know it's over.

"Well, good thing I will be the perfect child." I shrug to show her that I'm not scared I'll lose Andrew because I will keep my word.

"Now, keep that necklace on you every time. That's how we would know you're always at school and safe." I touch my necklace. Apparently, it had a tracking device on it. I know my parents and it's probably true. It's not some lie to make me not leave school. They would do everything to keep me safe.

"I promise."

A knock on the door is heard. "Hello, this is Andrew." My friend makes his present known.

"I have to go now," I tell my mom and start walking towards the door, knowing she will follow me.

As soon as I opened the door, she started talking. "Please Andrew, take good care of my girl." I know it was a hard decision for them to make and I'm thankful they trusted me enough.

"Of course, Mrs. —" My mother cuts him off.

"Please, call me Shannon." Mom practically watched him grow up so it was weird for her to be called by her family name by Andrew.

"Of course, Shannon. You can trust me!" Andrew sounded like a real man saying those words.

"I know. Now go, you'll be late for school." It was so good to hear that again. I'm afraid I'll tear up before going to school.

"Bye, mom! I love you so much!" I kiss her on the forehead and she does the same.

"Bye Shannon! Have a great day!" Andrew said his goodbye and we left and I just know my mom watched over us until she couldn't see us anymore.

"So, how does it feel finally going to school?" Andrew asked and I couldn't wait to answer him.

I started jumping from happiness. "It's amazing, you don't understand. I can't wait to get to school and see kids and teachers and cars and motorcycles and bikes. And to hear the bell ring. I might end up crying." I couldn't hold my enthusiasm in. I could scream.