027. the letter 💌

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

Think Evangeline, think.

Where could Henry go so he won't be caught by the police? He definitely won't go into a nice neighbourhood. He definitely won't go back to his house and he won't definitely won't hide in plain sight. So my guess is he is on the bad side of Brookside since the police don't really come around here.

So here I was alone, in the middle of south Brookside where all felons live.

I tried ignoring how every man that I passed whistled at me, catcalled at me and one of them even started yelling at me, calling me 'sweetheart'.

I wanted to turn around and leave but I remembered why I was here in the first place.

I need to see Henry and ask for an explanation.

When I saw him for the first time again, I wasn't thinking straight and all I cared about was that he was alive and well. But now, I need to know everything. About his job, why he did it, why he lied to me. Everything.

"Doll!" A man's voice was heard behind me and I kept walking, thinking that it wasn't meant for me. But it spoke again and again, each time closer to me.

When I finally turned around, a man in his 30s was in front of me. I didn't see any girl around here so I guess he did talk to me.

But I kept thinking about how hard and scary it is to live here as a woman. I've been in this neighbourhood for a few minutes but I already want to leave.

"Are you looking for someone?" The man said.

"Oh, actually yes. I look for He— Miro."

The man smiled at me, revealing his yellow teeth. "I don't know anyone by that name." His disgusting smell almost made me gag.

"Oh, well, I'll go looking for him." My plan was to knock on every house until I found him. It wasn't the best plan but this is all I came out with in a few minutes. "Thank you, though."

I'm ready to turn around but his hand grabbing my elbow stopped me. "I know everyone in this neighbourhood and I tell you he isn't here."

Coming here might have been a bad idea. "He's new here."

"Doesn't matter." He squeezes my elbow. "How about you come inside—"

"Get your hands off of her before I break it." The familiar voice of Henry is heard from behind me and I let out a breath of relief.

"Calm down. I didn't know she belonged to you." The man let go of my hand and laughed.

"I don't belong to anyone," I said, offended.

The man doesn't even bother to look at me.

"And if you put your hands on anyone without their consent, I'll find you, cut your arm, and feed it to the dogs, ok?" I could feel his presence behind me.