029. toddler steps 💋

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

I didn't want to fall asleep. I forced myself to keep my eyes open so I could be there for Henry. But no matter how much I tried, my eyes were slowly closing themselves. And Henry running his hand through my hair wasn't helping either.

When I woke up, his hands were around my waist, his head buried in my neck. I could feel his breath down on my neck and it made me self-conscious of how close we were to each other.

It reminded me of when I stayed in his home, of me sleeping in his clothes. It reminded me of how happy I was those days and it made me realise that no matter how the relationship between me and Henry would go, it would never be the same way it was before.

I quickly threw a look at the clock that was ticking on the nightstand only to see it was 7:32 am.

Shit! I need to be back at the hotel in half an hour for breakfast. Because if I didn't, all of my teachers would freak out and call my parents. And I don't know how to explain to them that I spent my night at Henry's place.

When I tried to move, Henry's hand tightened around my waist, pulling me back to him. "Henry, I need to go back to the hotel," I tell him softly as I turn to look at him. He had his eyes closed, his face was all relaxed.

"Just five more minutes and I'll drive you there." He managed to say but his eyes were still closed. "Now let's just sleep, ok?"

I know Henry couldn't sleep properly and when he finally had the chance of a good night's sleep, he couldn't wake up at 7 in the morning. I felt the same. "You can't drive me there, Henry. Andrew might see you and he will tell my parents."

"I hate him." He finally opened his eyes, slowly looking into mine. And when he saw me, a smile appeared on his face and he let out a sigh of relief.

"Hey, he was there for me when you left. You don't get to say that." Yeah, Andrew might have bragged a few times about the fact he was right even though I asked him not to, but he was a shoulder I could cry on.

"I know. Sorry." Henry still didn't let go of my waist but somehow tightened it even harder if possible. He glued me to his chest. "I'm going to hug you in the next five seconds."

I was too surprised to say something because five seconds already passed and now Henry hugged my waist with both of his hands, hiding his head in my hair. I put my hands around his shoulders, as usual, and buried my head into his neck.

This felt like home. This felt like a perfect Friday. This felt like a cold drink on the hottest day of summer. This felt like unwrapping something without breaking it. This felt like the first fall of snow.

"I missed you, river." Henry's breath hits my neck. "So much it drove me crazy."

"I missed you, too, Henry." I let the words fall from my mouth because I couldn't hold them in me much longer. I had to lie to my parents, I had to lie to Andrew, I had to lie to Henry, I had to lie to myself. But now I can finally be honest.