08. walking together 👩🏾‍🤝‍👨🏼

"The word rapist was written on his forehead. Maybe he did us a favour." I tried to convince my mom that the serial killer everyone talked about wasn't that bad.

"Killing is never a favour, Eva." My mother said while eyeing me.

"I would rather be killed than be raped." I know none of them are good options but when you're dead, it's the end. On the other hand, if the second thing happened to me I would never recover. I would have nightmares about it, I couldn't stop thinking about it. It would be in my bones and feelings. It would have destroyed me in a way not even death could.

"Evangeline! Don't jinx it!" My ma almost raised her voice but managed to control it. "If we hear about one more crime he committed, I am sorry but we can't let you go to school anymore."

My heart dropped. I knew this would happen. "Please don't do it. Please." I couldn't let go of my freedom again. "I promise I'll be safe." I was begging.

"We are sorry, Evangeline but we can't risk it. Not again." My father added and wanted to grab my hand but I dodged it. He narrowed his eyes.

"I won't do the same thing as her. I won't let people own me. I won't let people make decisions for me. I am my own person, not my sister. I am tired of being treated like I am some porcelain doll that's about to break. I need to make mistakes. I need to be hurt. I need to be happy and sad and I need to be free." I almost choked on my tears. "And if you keep taking my freedom away, you'll lose your last daughter."

Their faces were full of shock. "And I ask just for one thing. Just let me go to school. That's all. I never bother you with letting me hang out. And I want to hang out and have fun but I know it pains the both of you so I didn't ask for that. I just want to go to school, where you can easily find me."

They looked at each other and sighed. "Evangeline, please understand—"

"I'm tired of understanding." I cut them off. "I understood and understood again and again and again. Now it's time for both of you to understand me. I want to go to school. And I will. I don't care what kind of serial killer it's on the run, I don't care that it's dangerous. I will go even if you like it or not." I gave both of them a serious look, got up from the table and left for school.

I heard them yell my name but I ignored them. Unless they handcuff me by the bed and throw away the key, I will continue to go to school.

I wanted to wait for Andrew but I remembered he was sick today and I had to go alone. It was a good thing that I memorised the way. Otherwise, my mom would have to drive me to school. And I truly didn't feel like talking to her or my dad at that moment.

The only one I truly wanted to talk to was Henry.

If I talked to Andrew, he would have made excuses for my parents. And I understand he is only trying to help and I'm thankful for it but at this moment I wanted someone to let me talk shit about everything. And Henry seemed like that kind of person.

But until I will see him, my anger will disappear. But I wanted to see him as soon as possible.

 But I wanted to see him as soon as possible