35

evangeline cromwell

evangeline cromwell

I was sitting face to face with my best friend of nine years and for the first time, I didn't know what to say.

My parents, Victoria, Luna, and Avery were in the kitchen and they sent us — mostly my parents — to my room so we could solve our problems.

But we had been in my room for the past fifteen minutes and I never felt such an awkward silence before. It was weird having this kind of feeling with him because we used to tell each other everything. Well, he used to because I wasn't an interesting person before. But he used to talk to me and now he can't even look me in the eyes. 

"Look," Andrew broke the silence. He took a deep breath in and looked over at me. "I'm going to be honest here and tell you I have feelings for you. Like romantic feelings."

I wasn't surprised. I started to get the little hints he gave me and I had to learn how to pretend I am clueless. "Yeah, I know." I softly said.

"And I'm angry whenever I think about the fact you chose a killer over me—"

"There is more to the story that you don't know, Andrew. So don't speak of that, please." I tried to stay calm but I really hated how he just didn't trust me. I know Henry is a good person and that's all that matters. Because if Henry was a madman who was killing innocent people and kicking puppies, he would have been out of my life. No matter how much I loved him. But he isn't. He is out here doing what the police should. Yeah, it's a little bit illegal but that means less bad people in this world.

"What can't I possibly not—"

"Andrew."

He sighed angrily but changed the subject. "What I'm trying to say is that I think I should stay a little bit away from you. Just until I get my feelings sorted out. Or until I won't feel the need to jump at Miro's throat every time I see him."

I tried not to show that it affected me. I know it was for the better to be apart for a while but I am just so used to having him around. What if he never gets his things sorted out or what if he never gets over the urge to fight Henry? Will we become two strangers? "Okay, whatever works for you." I nodded my head.

"But I'll always be here for you if you need it, just so you know. Don't forget that and don't hesitate to reach me if you need someone to talk to, alright?" He looked at me and I knew he was sincere. That made me relax.

"And I'll always be here for you." I take out my pinky.

"Even if Miro doesn't allow it?"

I threw him a look. "Henry will never tell me who to be friends with. As long as they don't hurt me, I can be around anyone I want." That's what I loved about Henry. He hates Andrew, that's obvious and I'm sure he was jealous because of him but he never once told me to stop talking to him. No matter how much Andrew annoyed him, he never doubted my judgement.