Joyride

We are a couple drinks in now and Roan got into talking about the motorcycle he'd been working on for the last few months. I'd tried to follow along, understanding some terminology. Luckily my dad loves bikes so I'd grown up with him talking about how he'd been fixing up his.

"You probably don't care about this shit." He laughs at himself going on and on.

"It's okay, you enjoy talking about it."

I catch Marcus mouthing something to me. It looks like "Go home with him." Along with some hand gestures. I shake my head at him and slide my glass away from me.

"I'd better get home. It's late and I have errands early tomorrow."

I watch his hands then picture them on me and bite my lip. No, absolutely not. You're drunk Evalyn so go home.

"Let me drive ya." He smiles.

He's got grease marks on his forehead and I giggle. Taking a napkin I swipe it along the condensation at the edge of my glass and lean in wiping it away.

"I thought I cleaned up better before coming in." He smiles, his teeth are a bright contrast against his light brown skin.

"There, you're all clean." I blush a bit and set the napkin down.

"I'll see you at class."

"So that's a no on taking you home?" He tilts his head.

"I—I should be fine." I half smile putting my jacket on.

"Evalyn, what kind of man would I be if I let you walk home alone?"

"A man that respects me for being an independent woman. Who can skillfully defend herself." I pat the knife on my belt winking.

He strokes his beard and clicks his tongue debating on what to say next.

"Consider me disrespectful then. Cause I'm driving you." He stands up and lays down some cash. My face pales then I see the symbols stamped on his bills.

"What's wrong?" He looks at the money, then me.

"Nothing, I just keep seeing those symbols everywhere. It's weird ya know?"

"Ah it's just a bunch of punks thinking they're cool ruining cash." He brushes it off.

"Don't forget your scarf." He reaches beside me, wrapping it around my neck.

"Ere ya go, nice and warm."

His fingers grazed my skin and lingered there. His face is close enough to kiss. My heartbeat picks up and I fix my scarf a bit.

"S-shall we then?" I whisper.

"Mhm, right. Your chariot awaits."

He lets me go ahead of him and we walk out into the cool air. It's begun to warm up at night, I can't wait to not need a jacket anymore. As I get out the front door a man walks in brushing past the both of us.

"Scuse me." I mumble.

Then a different feeling takes over my body. Roan gets ahead of me and I'm stuck turned around staring at the door. Evalyn stop wishful thinking and focus on what you're doing. I scolded myself. The sound of a motorcycle starting up makes me jump.

"Evalyn! Come on!" He pats the seat behind him and I swing my leg over the bike sitting down.

"Make sure to hang on. There are some spots for your feet. Ya see em?"

"Yeah!" I hook my feet on the pegs and wrap my arms around his big torso.

My arms don't completely make it around him so I scoot myself closer and bite my lip shamelessly digging my fingers into his tight stomach.

"Where are we going?" He adjusts himself to my hold on him.

"Bailey st." I answer.

"You wanna cruise for a few minutes?"

I nod, laying my head against his cool leather jacket. As Roan pulls out of the driveway I see a man exiting the bar watching us leave. My grip tightens on Roan and I sit up a bit.

"Cruising the city at night is my favorite." He says while we are stopped at a light.

"It's pretty out! All the lights, and the minimal amount of people." I smiled at him.

His hand reaches down to my thigh and he squeezes it gently before taking off. My legs grip the seat tighter and I feel my body react to his touch. We've come around to the old spot where Mary and I lived and I feel a bit of nostalgia cruising through. We then drive around by Marty's getting stuck at another light.

"Evie? Hey Evie!" I hear a familiar voice. It's Saul and the boys standing at the corner.

"Know them?" Roan looks back at me.
I stay quiet and shake my head.

"Hmm. Hang on, we got a string of green lights and I'm going to open this baby up."

I smile nervously at what to expect, my grip tightening. The second the light changes we take off so fast I let out a little squeal.

"Ya good." He laughs.

"Yes!" I laugh along with him.