40

Now even if I wanted some kind of space, it wasn't going to be at my apartment, at least not right now. We are back in the garage and Gurei opens the door for me, swinging the duffel bag over his shoulder as he extends his hand out to me.
"Eve come, let's go inside." His voice softens a little.
"S-shouldn't I call the cops? It's my apartment, I need to take care of this." My voice is shaky as I hold back my tears.
"Let's get inside and we will talk."
"No, I want to talk about it now! This is my fucking problem not yours! Or am I supposed to let you take care of this because..." Quickly I stop myself before I say something I'll regret in the heat of the moment. "Gurei I need to take a walk."
"It's not a good idea right now, Eve." His brows knitted together.
"It's never going to be a good time is it? Am I just supposed to stay locked up in here?" Without taking his hand I get out of the car and slam the door storming into the house.

My mind is racing with possibilities of who could've broke into my apartment and why. If I am going to continue to stay there I have to call the cops. Isn't it going to look more suspicious if I just disregard my responsibility?
"Eve." Gurei's serious tone echoes in my ears but I keep walking away from him. Could it have been someone I know? Roan maybe? No.. he's got no reason to. What about someone from the group that kidnapped me? The man from Mary's Christmas party pops into my head. For fucks sake it could be anyone. The thoughts of that man being shot in front of me sends chills down my spine, then the bodies I had to walk over after Gurei rescued me.

Fuck I'm spiraling, I need air, something! Rushing as quickly as I can out to the back door I feel the fresh air hit my face and I hit my knees. My hearts racing, I dig my fingers into the earth. Breathe Evalyn, breathe! In, hold, out. This is your fight or flight, so process it and get up. Gurei's muffled voice is there but I don't focus on it, I only focus on my need to process my situation. Finally after a few minutes some clarity comes and I struggle to stand.
"Evalyn. Please come inside."
"I need to take care of my apartment. That is what I'm going to do." I walk past him picking up my cell phone. Gurei's hand comes over the top of my cell phone stopping me.
"What the fuck are you doing?" I look up to him.
"Evalyn, listen to me. You need to understand the situation." His voice is stern.
"I have to take care of my issues! This has nothing to do with you!" I try to rip my hands out of his. He lets me go and has my cell phone still in his hands.
"If this does have something to do with me, and you call the cops, then what Eve?" I can tell he's really trying hard not to lose his temper. "You said you knew what you were getting yourself into with me. Well Evalyn, this is what you need to be prepared for. These are the things that work differently when you're with me. I don't rely on law enforcement to take care of my problems, or anyone that decides to give me a problem. I take care of it. Anyone who wants to challenge me gets my wrath."

Gurei's jaw clenched and his nostrils flared as he exhaled at his last words. His hand tightens around my phone causing the plastic to creak under the pressure. My chest is tight with anxiety and panic, my limbs feel fuzzy and weak after listening to him. Was I even really ready for this or did I just convince myself it was going to be okay?
"Evalyn." He tries to reach out to me and I flinch, taking a step back. My tears are uncontrollably falling, but I make no sounds. My mind and body are numb, I feel like at this point I just need a second to think. Wiping my eyes I walk into the living room looking out the window. There's nowhere for me to go, this is where I'm stuck, so here is where I'm staying. My heart is beating so quickly I feel light headed. Why? Why do I have to feel like this? How could I possibly think that getting cops involved would be a good idea. They could just snoop and get Gurei in trouble, then take him from me.
My vision darkens, then tunnels, everything warping around me.
"G-Gurei.." I breathe before feeling myself fall backward. I felt myself hit the cold hard unforgiving tile floor. My head hit and my ears ring loudly.
"Eve!" Gurei's voice echoed around me before I completely lost consciousness.