I Hate The Holidays

The house is dark. Once I'm inside, I turn the porch light and the kitchen light on. Tossing my bag onto the couch I sit running my shaky fingers through my hair. Hopefully as mad as ski mask was he got rid of him. My phone rings for the third time.

"Ugh what the fuck do you want?" I answer.

"Evie, it's Mary."

"Oh shit hey! Why are you calling from this number?"
"I lost my phone, I am on my way home." She explains.

"Okay, I'm glad you're safe. See you soon." I hang up and lay back.

I didn't wake up when Mary got home. The harsh morning light wakes me up. I'm still in my coat and old clothes.

"Hrrmm fuck."

Definitely dehydrated and hungover I force myself up and off the couch. I get up too quick and dart for the kitchen sink throwing up.

"Shit."

Mary is now holding my hair back while I continue heaving.

"Did you mix?"

"Ugh."

"That must be a yes." She pats my back.

Going back to bed I let Mary know I'll be out for lunch so we can eat together. I slept hard, so hard it was difficult to wake up. None the less I do it and fill Mary in on what happened last night.

"I'm sorry babe. Hopefully he took care of that douche bag." Mary hugs me tightly.

I can tell she's worried about me, but there isn't anything else I can do at the moment.
A few weeks go by, everything kinda settled down. I'd been able to land a tech support job. All remote so I'm able to work at home thankfully. I've still kept the extra hours at the bar to save extra cash in case something like this happens again.

I hadn't heard a single thing from Gurei since the night he cut things off. Bruce was definitely taken care of, I never saw him with the guys again. I was still the main server for them on the weekends, it seemed like they ended up there during the week from time to time as well. Ski mask never looked happy to see me, regardless of me having his Hennessy bottle for him.

There were times he'd pass by me and I'd catch the same scent Gurei wore. I'd be lying if the thought of ski mask being him didn't cross my mind. But I don't have enough to go on, only a scent and a feeling. If that was the case I'd know that's why men were after him that night, and he would've lied to me the night he left.

My last tech call of the night was a long one. An older couple had set their computer up wrong. Which leads me to setting it all up for them while explaining things they probably will never remember. With a heavy sigh I hang up and take my head piece off. Glancing at the clock it's close to my shift at the bar. Dressing up in a new slip dress I got along with some gold necklaces and earrings I take a second to admire myself.

"Mary, I'm heading out!"

"Be safe! Call me if you need a ride."' She shouts from her room.

It was slammed as usual, I squeezed between groups of people decked out in their ugly Christmas sweaters and Christmas light necklaces and headbands. We were having a contest for Christmas Eve, it brought an insane amount of people in. I start by checking on the floor patrons before peeking in to see if anyone was in the back room.

As with every Saturday they were there, ski mask hadn't been around for the last few weeks but they all seemed to be having fun. I grab a tray full of whiskeys and bring them back in for the guys, noticing ski mask now sitting in the back. My stomach does a flip, his eyes scan me slowly then catch me in his intense gaze. He seems to be in less of a short mood, maybe it's the holiday cheer.

"Hen-Hennessy?" I mouth to him my legs brushing back and forth, it looks almost like he's undressing me with that stare.

It's the giving season so I flirt a little and see if I can't get some extra cash by the end of the night. He moves to take his gloves off but stops short. I notice the darkened skin below, tattoos it looks like. Swallowing hard, I turn and grab a bottle bringing it in to him. Bending down in front of him I feel my breasts press up against my dress, almost trying come out.

"Here ya go. Would you like your drink poured too?" I whisper.

"Just stop what you are doing." He grabs the bottle from my hand and pours himself a glass.

"Merry Christmas to you too." I walk away closing the door behind me.

"Jeez boss. Lighten up a little ay?"

"Yeah boss, she was obviously into you. Don't you wanna get laid every once in a while?"

"My sex life is none of your concern. Drop it." He finally hisses to all of them.

Barry and I bs a little in our lull of customers. He was complaining about the asshole frat guys wanting stupid niche drinks like they get in town.

"That shit costs more to make than what we charge. Plus they're stupid as hell."

"I don't doubt that." Paul was now on stage with all the ugly sweater entries making the crowd cheer for who did it best. Barry and I take a couple shots before getting back to work. My head is a little fuzzy and I begin to think about my Gurei theory again. No, no, no, stop it Evalyn! Just think about work! I scolded myself.

When I check the back again all the guys are gone except the boss man. Quietly I collect the glasses and turn to leave.