Interrogation

"Oh I guess she's in the back." Saul says leaving the bar and going back over to the rest of them.

I can just barely make out where they are in the reflection of the alcohol bottles. Quietly I sneak to the back and hold my chest trying to maintain composure. I listen closely as Gurei scolds Marcus for how stupid he is and then takes his money.

"We're done here." Gurei's voice sounds harsh and annoyed.

Listening for clues of them leaving I hear the back door shut and then I come out of the store room. Feeling a hand on me I went into fight mode. In a surprisingly quick blur of motions I broke the grasp on me and unsheathed my knife now having it up to Gurei's throat. He grunts at the pressure of the blade on his throat and drops his hands.

"E-Easy! Hmph!" Everything else I was taught leaves my mind and my body begins to shake, causing me to drop my knife.

"Eve.." he breathes pulling his mask off.

"Don't! No! You—you don't get to say my name like that!" My eyes welled up and I hit him in the chest.

"Let's talk." He tries to reach out for me and I push him away again.

"You don't get to! You don't!" My voice cuts out as I hit his chest over and over. Collapsing he catches me holding me against him.

"Evie!" Marcus busts in and I yell at him.

"Get out Marc! This isn't your business!" I cry.

He looks to Gurei than me. "Leave Marcus." Gurei growls.

"Gurei, I have to go." I try to stand but he doesn't let go.

"You have to let go of me." He does as he's told and I stand up sheathing my knife coming out of the store room.

"Come home with me. Let's just talk, I promise I'll take you home if you don't want to stay." Gurei's eyes are sincere and intense.

I don't say anything and follow him out of the store room and Marcus yells.

"I held up our end of the deal! Why are you taking her?!" Marcus is panicking.

"We have history Marcus. I'm okay. I'll see you tomorrow." I nod to him then let Gurei guide me out the door and into his car.

It's quiet on the car ride up to his place, I don't know what to even say anymore. It's been half a year and now he wants to talk? It's late and I'm tired, my exhaustion is setting in quickly. I sit on the couch and sigh looking around.

"Do you want a drink?" Gurei asks from the kitchen.

"I want to get this over with so I can go home and sleep." I yawn and lean my head against the arm of the couch.

"We've established everything. So what is there to talk about?" I close my eyes.

Gurei stays silent, coming to sit beside me. My body shifts uncomfortably as I begin to feel the overwhelming feelings I had while spending time with him.

"Where did you go?" Gurei's thumbs run the rim of the glass waiting for my answer.

"You took me so you could interrogate me? Jesus Christ." I cross my arms over my chest turning my back to him.

"I left! What more do you want me to say? I wanted space so I moved. Is that what you wanted to know? It's that simple." I stare into the flames inside the fireplace.

Avoiding as much eye contact as I can pacing around the living room. Part of me flashing back to the first time I was almost taken from here, then the time it actually happened. Gurei is behind me now, I can feel him ready to embrace me.

"Stop." I freeze in place and feel his warmth retreat.

"Eve, just please explain to me what happened. What's going through your head?" He sits back down grabbing his glass.

"All I wanted... all I fucking wanted was your affection after everything. It wasn't just them taking me, Gurei. I watched someone get killed in front of me, and then thought they were going to either sell me off or kill me in front of you." A sob chokes out of me and it pisses me off.

Clearing my throat I continue, "Instead I felt like... I've already said this Gurei! Why are you making me repeat it?" Frustrated even more I grab my purse off the kitchen counter and walk toward the door.

"I'm going home. I can't..I won't do this again." My chest tightens.

"You told me to stop. You told me to stay out of trouble. Where the fuck am I right now Gurei? Trouble found me again didn't it? You run this fucking town, so I guess no matter what you've got tabs on me." He looks away and knows I've caught him.

"You left the bar with someone the other night. Who?" He comes towards me.

"Ooh okay. See, now that's none of your fucking business!" I hiss at him, slamming the door behind me.