One Door Closes, Another Opens

It isn't long till Mary comes through the door, her eyes meet mine but I look away continuing to pick up the shards of glass from the kitchen floor.

"Evie I have to go out for work, I won't be home till late tonight. You wanna go out for lunch tomorrow?"

She switches out her bags then squats down beside me helping to pick up the glass. Without facing her I nod.

"Mhm yeah that sounds great." I whisper trying to hide that I'm crying.

"Okay, I'll see you later tonight." Mary stands and heads out.

Sunday is shit at the bar, and I got sent home early. Mary didn't make it back till late so I went to bed. It's been weird at work lately, less and less people are coming in. I chalked it up to remote work but I got my answer from my boss today. The company is going bankrupt and is shutting down, come Friday I won't have a job there anymore. It's now Thursday, one more day and I'm going to have to find another job.

With working late on the weekends, and my current issues I haven't been able to speak to Mary about the situation. Tonight seems like it's going to be the best time. We are grabbing pizza from the kitchen and I sigh looking at her.

"So, the company is going bankrupt."

"No!" She turns to me, eyes wide.

"When it rains it pours right?" I laugh pathetically.

"Friday is my last day.. I am gonna try and see if I can just pick up more hours at the bar till I find something else."

"I snagged a waiting job and the tips have been good. If you and I both keep bringing home our tips we should make it just fine." Mary assured me.

Friday came and went. I'm sitting at the bar alone. Mary had to work tonight so I celebrate losing a job all by myself. Paul agreed to give me more hours to help, but I'm still going to have to find something else.

"Evie, why are ya drinking alone?" It's that same friendly kid from the crew.

"Lost a job. What's your name? You're such a sweetheart." I giggle while finishing my drink.

"Saul." He smiles.

"Now come drink with us!" He pulls on me.

"No no can't do that, I'm good."

"Get your ass up girl!" He pulls the stool out with me in it.

"Fine, okay!" I hop down and follow him into the room.

"Are you drinkin with us?!" One of them says sounding surprised.

"That's right!" I hiccup while plopping down beside Saul in a flimsy folding chair.

Saul hands me a glass and pours some whiskey into it. While I hold my glass up I look around the room.

"I lost my job today!" They all cheer.

"And I lost my heart. So now I'm a cold frigid bitch!" I laugh as they cheer.

As we all clank glasses, ski mask walks in scrutinizing each one of us.

"What the fuck is going on?" He grumbles.

"B-boss we are just letting Evie chill with us." Saul says.

"This isn't a fucking hangout spot. We talk business here and it's not intended for outsiders."

His eyes are on me again, this time it's like there is a hint of recognition in them. But just as I see it, he's looking at everyone else around the table.

"Whoever decided it was a good idea to bring her in, see her out."

Saul looks back to me then stands up. I finish my drink and slam it down onto the table.

"Th-thankss for letting me hang. At least some of you are cool!" I slur my words then trip while following Saul out into the bar.

Ski mask asshole looks pissed and I just wanna slap him. Finding my seat back at the bar I pull out my phone and call a taxi. I'm way too fucked up to drive. Plus I'm challenging a gang leader. I don't need to end up dead. Hugging my coat close to me I step outside looking around for my taxi close to the street. I hear the front door of the bar open and close, and I can hear someone's boots in the dirt walking toward me. Pulling my phone out, I check to see where my ride is; a block away, great.

"I'll take you home." I hear that deep voice from behind me.

It's Bruce again trying to come on to me.

"I'm good. Do you know when to quit?" I step back from him and stumble a little.

As I do he reaches out to me but I push him away stumbling more.

"Get off me!" He grabs me, pulling me into him.

My heart sinks, this doesn't feel good, I have a sense of dread come over me. Struggling against him I barely do anything to free myself from his grip.

"I've got you baby, don't freak out so bad."

"Get—get the fuck off me!!" I cry.

I finally get an arm free and punch him in the face as hard as I can. Running back into the bar Paul stands up straight when he sees the panicked look on my face. My panic turns into anger making me storm into the back room.

"Control Your fucking dogs!" I scream pulling my shirt and coat back up over my shoulder.

The boss stands up and looks around the room. He knows exactly who's missing and he looks furious. Pushing past me he storms outside, there is yelling back and forth then silence. My taxis here so I step outside cautious to what I'm going to walk out to. Bruce is nowhere to be seen but the boss is standing outside waving me out.

"I'll get you home." He mumbles.

"I'm fine with the taxi." I walk past him and he grabs my arm.

"I will take you home."

"And I said the taxi is fine!" I snatch my arm out of his grip and open the taxi door getting in.

He doesn't look away from the taxi as it pulls away, why he thought he had to take me home though— I don't know. Sinking into the seat I close my eyes, sighing everything out of me. What a night to start off having to work there more, it really makes me feel so comfortable going back. My cell rings and it's a number I don't have stored. I don't answer it, I don't have the mental capacity at the moment. Again it rings, the same number. Still I ignore it, paying the driver before I get out of the car