Shut Down

Taking care of the guys in the back was my job for the weekend. As usual they were happy to see me, but I feel like they knew something was wrong. I'd catch my saddened reflection in the glasses I served them, or in the mirror behind the bar. Damn it Evalyn snap out of it! I yell at myself. Smiling at myself in the mirror I practice till it's like all is normal.

"Feeling better Evie?" One of the younger guys asks me with a little smile.

"Fine, thank you." I speak low as I collect all their empty glasses around the room.

"Please let me know if I can get anything else for you gentlemen."

With that I leave the room. Paul is in his office getting heated talking to someone. Now wary of doors hitting me in the face I step back away. Just as I thought Paul's office door flies open and I catch it with my hand.

"For Christ sake can no one be careful barreling through doors?!" I yell.

The man in the ski mask steps out from the office and he glances at me briefly.

"Well now I know where the rest of the guys get it from." I mumble. Paul comes out after and sees me still holding the door.

"It didn't hit you again did it?"

"No. But I'd appreciate people being more considerate of servers walking by!" I yell in the direction of the back room he entered into.

Pissed I walk away and chuck the dirty glasses in the sink and throw my tray onto the counter.

"Evie, what's going on?"

"I don't want to talk about it, Paul. It's personal." He grumbles and ends up going back into his office.

"Evie! We wanna order more!" Snatching my tray off the bar I go back into the room.

Silent I stare at my tablet waiting to hear them shout orders. Once they're done ordering I turn on my heels and start to head back to the bar. Bruce is sitting down in front of me and he looks me up and down.

"What happened to you?" He squints his eyes at me.

"Nothing." I retorted, annoyed.

"How'd your hands and knees get so fucked up then?"

Embarrassed, I look down at my feet.

"It's none of your business." I answer passing by him, tears stinging my eyes.

Now at home I sit quietly watching tv holding a pillow close to my chest. Why do I have to feel this way? I barely get to know someone and my heart feels broken. Over what, a failed sexual encounter?  Throwing the pillow across the room I stew in my frustrations. I wipe my eyes and try to call Gurei again, but it's no use. Giving up I go to bed and avoid having to talk to Mary about more of what had happened.

Most of the day on Sunday I stayed in bed, Mary didn't bother me other than sending a text to make sure I was alright. She went to work and I slept, that is until I was woken up by knocking on the door. They knock and don't stop, it forces me out of bed and I walk toward the door. The knocking gets louder.

"Alright! I'm coming!"

I open the door and see Gurei standing there. Pissed off I try to slam the door but he catches it.

"Eve. Please wait."

"No! N-No!" I push the door but I don't have the strength.

Giving up I let go and stormed into the kitchen. He followed me inside but stayed in the living room, leaving distance between us.

"Eve I came to apologize."

"Apologize? Really?"

With my back to him I hide the tears running down my face. I wipe my eyes and turn around walking up to him.

"I was threatened and had a knife to my fucking throat. Not once did you call me or even explain to me what had happened!" My fists clench at my sides.

"What the fuck even was that? Tell me what the hell is going on." I add.

"Nothing. It's taken care of. It was something from my past, but it's taken care of. It's nothing you should concern yourself with."

"Nothing I should concern myself with? I had a knife to my throat! If I wasn't concerned, I am now!" I laugh at his pathetic excuse to detour the subject.

"Well you don't need to worry anymore. That's why I'm here. You obviously know my number is disconnected. I'm breaking this off. There's no reason for you to worry now." He says nonchalantly.

I slap him across the face and cover my mouth, shocked at my reaction.

"Good. Hate me, treat me like a villain."

He rubs the side of his face turning around to leave. My emotions burst and I throw a glass.

"You were probably just going to fuck and leave anyways!"

The door closes and I sob covering my face mortified at what just happened.