Work As Usual

He waited till I walked inside and closed the door behind me. Holy shit, I can't even process this. Who the fuck was I just then? Gathering myself together I get a glass of water and stand in the kitchen drinking. The microwave clock glowing in the dark. It's almost twelve, I down the last bit of water in my glass then the lights flip on. Mary is standing there with a big cheesy grin on her face.

"Spill."

"No I-I am going to bed." I protest.

"Look at you." She giggles like a schoolgirl.

"Goodnight Mary."

"Was it the wine guy?!"

"Goodnight Mary!" Blushing, I finally close myself in my room, sighing.

Before I change my clothes I look at myself in the mirror. Hair disheveled, my cheeks obviously red, my lips pinker from the blood rushing to them, and my neck, he marked me up. My head shakes at myself once more, but I try to get my head back in order. I've got work tomorrow, and then Sunday as well.

Saturday morning was quiet, Mary is still asleep and I barely got any. Blindly flicking through the channels on the tv I sip my coffee trying to wake up.

"Morning Evie." I hear her yawn behind me.

"Mornin sunshine. Thought I'd be the one sleeping in." I joke. She flops beside me.

"I started. It fucking hurrrts!" Her head leans into me.

"I'm sorry." I pat her head then rub her lower back a bit.

"So?" I look down at her and she's got one eye open looking up at me.

"Yes, it was wine guy." I confirm her suspicions. She giggles and then smiles at me.

"I'm happy I didn't interrupt last night then. Did you guys plan another date? What's his name?"

"His name is Nico. We didn't really, I don't, uh, I didn't get his number." I roll my eyes at myself.

"What?! What about a second date!?"

"N-No." I scratch the back of my head.

"Wow Evie."

"Sush I was—preoccupied." Reminiscing about last night I flush again. How soon will I see him again?

The bar is crowded, Paul put me on the floor tonight too. Slipping past all the people between tables and chairs I made it back to the bar with a fun list of drinks. Paul and Bobbie make drinks quicker than I can even comprehend. In a matter of seconds it seemed, my tray was ready to go back out. Down go the drinks and up come the tips.

The night starts steady and I'm half looking out for Nico. Collecting my tips off the tables I see the guy in the ski mask pass by at the back of the bar. Keeping my eyes down I watch him enter the back room. Then one by one I see the rest of the guys do the same thing. Once my tables are clean I take a breather behind the bar and have a couple glasses of water.
While I'm back to serving I run into one of the guys.

"Evie! Why are you out here? Is Paul trying to keep an eye on you?" He chuckles.

"I gotta learn more than just taking care of you guys." He shakes his head and goes back with the others.

It's late and the people at the bar had significantly dissipated so I had a chance to take a small break. In the hallway I check my phone. There's a text from Mary letting me know she'll be out for the night.

"Hmm. I wonder where she's going."

I decide it's been long enough of a break and begin to head back towards the bar. But I get stuck with Bruce in front of me.

"Well, well, good evening Evie." I step to the side and go past him, but he holds his arm up stopping me.

"Let me buy you a drink."

"I'm working." I huff.

"That didn't stop you last weekend." He leans down getting close to me.

"Bruce!" I flinch at the deep loud voice abruptly yelling.

"B-Boss I—" Bruce leaves me and I continue to hold myself up against the wall.

When I look down the hall I don't see anyone there, sighing I head back to the bar. The ski mask guy was just entering the back room again.

"Evie." Paul grabs my shoulders and I jump.

"Yes sir! You scared me." I slump forward over the bar.

"Sorry, I need you to go take care of the boys in the back."

"Are you sure? Do you know what they are ordering?"

"The usual. Hennessy and some whiskeys." He sets the drinks on my tray.

For some reason I am nervous to go in there. Swallowing hard, I step down the stairs and into the room.

"Evie you came!" The guy from earlier smiles at me.

"Are we needing drinks in here?"

"Hell yeah!" They cheer, while I set down the glasses I get closer to the guy in the ski mask.

"Hennessy right?" I see him nod in approval and I look up fighting my urge to run away.

They're dark, almost black and it's all I get before he leans back and I stand. My heart is in my throat as I leave the room.