35

It's late in the morning now, basically the afternoon and Gurei isn't back. He texted me around nine saying it was going to be a while. Bored out of my mind at the house I decide to cruise into town before going back home. It's only Tuesday but I've got sparing on my mind, maybe I'll just go to the gym. Working out and getting some strength would help in class definitely.

Due to it being the middle of the day and early in the week no one is here, I flash my member card and go to the locker room. Once I've changed and put my things away the treadmill seems like a good warm up to start with. After going a few miles I take a water break and move to a quiet spot with a punching bag. Never having done it before I felt kinda awkward, still I kept at it.
"Ya need to swing your hips more, it's not like a person." I hear Roan's voice from behind me.
"Oh. Guess you're right." I smile at him over my shoulder and he does the same.
"You're not in here often. You bored or something?"
"Ah yeah actually. I was stuck at home so I figured why not do something productive. So, here I am!"
"Do you mind?" He asks.
"Mind?" Roan points to the punching bag and it clicks. "Oh not at all. I can use all the help I can get." He comes around to the opposite side of the punching bag and holds it.
"Okay now fix your stance like we've been practicing."
"Okay." I adjust my feet and arms.
"Now hit it."

Roan spends a good hour with me and the punching bag. It felt good to let some aggression out too. We both finally sit next to each other and I take a swig of my water wiping the sweat off my head.
"You wanna spar for a little? I've got another hour or so before I go home." I look over at him. He's looking at me differently now, like he's not too sure about what I've just asked. "It's okay if you don't wanna. We can just wait till Thursday instead." I stand up stretching.
Roan sucks his teeth then stands.
"Let's go." He snaps his fingers at me and I go to the mat.
"What about our props?" I look around.
"Here." Roan throws a piece of thin  cardboard to me.
"Really?" I scoff.
"It'll work for the time being. Now let's go." He taunts me.

Carefully I walk around the edge of the mat and eye his stance, the way his hand tightens around the cardboard and then when I feel the time is right I strike.
"Nope! Predictable Evalyn!" He dodges my attack. Damn it! Again don't give up! Quickly I swipe my arm behind me but it's caught and I'm flipped. Landing flat on the mat I huffed frustrated.

"Cool that temper." He warns me. Again I sigh and stand up, this time he doesn't give me a chance to fully prepare and he's after me. "Gotcha!" He whispers, he trips me up. Catching me with his arm curled around my back and the piece of cardboard sticks into my stomach. Wincing at the poke it stops his face inches from mine, so close I see the blue flecks that dotted his green irises in the light.

My hand instinctively reaches up and I press my hand to his chest backing away, readying myself again for another attack. Don't let physical contact result in a slip! You may have to fight someone you know one day.
"Focus Evalyn." He nods. It makes me feel frustrated. Focus? I am focusing. With a big deep breath I move toward him. He jabs and I dodge causing him to pass me, but I can feel him fixing his momentum. He tries to get me from behind and I duck, kicking out to trip him up. As he stumbles backward I move to jab upwards and catch the cardboard up under his jaw.

Pressing harder than I anticipated, I quickly backed off and collected myself. Roan does the same, running his hand over where I landed my hit. He licks his lips and clears his throat, his eyes have changed. He's watching me like I'm possibly a threat to him, it's different, I'm not used to this.
His watch, for a sign, something to give away when I'm about to strike. Subtly I adjust my grip and I see him ready, but when I move it's not to strike. He eyes me again and his gaze narrows.
"Don't fuck with me Evalyn, just because you have one up." He moves towards me, launching a couple quick jabs I barely miss being hit by.

When I moved to try to create some distance I tripped up on the mat and fell backward onto my butt. Shit! That's it! What can I do? Roan dives for me and my only thought is to tuck and roll. As he lands on his knees missing me, I clamber back up to my feet. Now out of breath I inch towards him again, watching his back move with each breath he takes. I swallow hard and watch his open spots. This is too easy, he's got something planned.
"Mistake number one. Getting too close to your opponent's openings." He grabs my feet and I fall back down and he climbs over me and he pins my arms to the ground. "Mistake number two; if you don't take your chance to strike, you might not get another one." His grip on me tightens and I moan out at the pain.

The feeling of this spar has changed, my heart is in my throat. The chemistry we have is intense and I don't know how to handle this.
"Mistake number three; pushing me away when you know we have something." His voice quiets and his lips are now on mine. The feeling of pleasure pokes at me, making me pull away.
"Roan, I did it for a reason." I'm now sitting looking up at him covering my mouth. "There's someone. I have someone." I look away covering my mouth.
"Gurei Hisouka it is then. I thought so." He sighs standing up then helps me to my feet.
"What?" I'm now confused. How does Roan know Gurei?
"You should go. I'd hate to be on his bad side." Roan looks aggravated and he wipes his mouth. "I—Roan... I guess I'll see you tomorrow?" I look away from him and grab my things.

Hurrying off the mat and into the locker room I plop down on the bench. My lips tingling but my mind is only focused on Gurei. Once I've calmed my mind I rinse off in the shower and get re dressed. When I remember to check my phone I see three missed calls from Gurei. Quickly I leave the gym and get in my car calling him back.

"Eve where the hell did you go? I called you hours ago." Gurei sounded worried and slightly annoyed.
"You were taking ages. I'm leaving the gym now and I'm headed back to my place."
"Alright. I was just checking in on I you. I got home a little while ago."
"Alright, sorry to worry you." I sigh.
"It's okay baby. I'll talk to you later." Gurei hangs up and I head back to my place. 

It's lonely, spending the last few days with Gurei showed me how much I missed having company. After I get all the lights on in the house  my phone rings again. It's Roan.
"H-hey." I breathe.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken advantage of that situation to do that." He groans.
"Thank you for apologizing." I blush thinking about the feeling of his mouth on mine, then shake my head.
"Anyway, have a good night Evalyn." With that he hangs up. As soon as I'm off the phone I leave for Gurei's.