Progress

Eddie's POV

Fuck, does Sam have a kid? Her mom was pissed and handed him off like she'd been doing her a favor watching him. She had to have had him when she was like fifteen or sixteen if he's hers. What did her mom mean, how did she earn her money? Especially to afford that place?

Things were going so well up until her mom came out. We were talking. Actual talking, she was actually telling me stuff. Definitely the right move to just be nice... Shit, she's so hot. She was trying to be nice. She's funny. Mean kind of funny but funny. And hot. She's so fucking hot.

Shit. Stop thinking about her.

I pick up my guitar and pluck some chords, trying to focus on anything other than the memory of her hazel eyes. The little scattering of freckles across her nose. Her shiny brown hair that was a perfect mess from her running her hands through it like she didn't even realize she was doing it. Her pouty but full lips gently holding her cigarette.

"You ok kid?" Wayne asks from my doorway.

"Yeah, why?"

"I've never heard you slip a chord like that."

Shit, forgot I was supposed to be focusing.

"Just preoccupied." I tell my uncle.

"What's her name?"

"There's no her." I lie even though I know he knows, he's been telling me to just be myself the last couple weeks.

"Mhm, that's why there's a pretty girl standing on our porch asking for you?"

I immediately set my guitar down and jump up.

"Fuck off Wayne." I say and flip him off when he starts laughing.

"I knew it."

"I don't even really know her." I offer a small piece of information to try to get him off my back.

"Well, just be yourself. I'm headed to work. Stay out of trouble." He repeats what he's been telling me since spring break.

I shake my head at his advice.

"There's a reason we keep telling you the same thing." He says and I look at him confused. "It's a small trailer Eddie, I can hear you on the phone."

Which means he knows exactly how much I like her. Great.

"Being an asshole isn't going to get you anywhere, girls like guys that are nice to them."

"They do not." I reply.

"The right ones do. How's it been working out for you so far with this one?"

"I get plenty."

"If that's all you're looking for, sure. Not if you actually like her." He says and heads out.

Sam's POV

This must be it, that's his van.

"Shh, I know buddy." You say to Danny and try to get him to stop crying before knocking on the door.

A man opens the door before you can knock though, making you take a step back.