✩ Chapter 12

Jaxie heard someone quickly rushing into the dorm room.

Jaxie: "Eris is that you? are you back from your date?"

Eris: "yes! I'm back!"

Jaxie: "You came back a little later than usual, everyone else is asleep now. Did it go well?"

Eris: "Yeah, it actually went amazing. I think me and Elios might actually be an item now, but I'm not for sure"

Jaxie: "I told you so"

Eris: "Yeah, yeah, whatever. I'm gonna hit the hay now as well.. I'm really tired after my day"

Jaxie: "Alright me too"

Eris went into her room and Jaxie went to theirs.

But right before they entered, they heard a sound coming from Evelyn's room, crying.

Jaxie knocked on the door lightly so as to not wake the others up.

Jaxie: "Evelyn are you ok? Can I come in?"

Evelyn: " *Sniffle* Whatever...."

Jaxie slowly opened the door and gently closed it behind her.

Evelyn was facing away from the door crying on their bed.

Jaxie: "Do you need anything?"

Evelyn: "Could you just...stay here?

Jaxie: "Of course"

Jaxie handed Evelyn their blanket.

Jaxie: "Did you have a night terror?"

Evelyn: "y-yea..."

Jaxie: "Do you want to talk about it?"

Evelyn: "It was a memory...f-from when...I was f-four?"

Jaxie wrapped the blanket around them.

Evelyn: "My adopted mom and dad.."

Jaxie: "oh.."

Evelyn: "He was yelling at me...a-and..no, I don't wanna talk about it. It's painful"

Jaxie: "Of course, that's for you to tell when your time comes"

Evelyn: "But I'm tired of constantly remembering it! I do wanna let it out, but even thinking about it hurts"

Jaxie: "Have you tried keeping a diary?"

Evelyn: "Yeah, but I always forget to write in it..."

Jaxie: "We aren't ready to open up about certain things, and that's ok we're all different"

Jaxie hugged Evelyn.

Evelyn: "S-sorry I just don't know how to say it properly...i just......"

Jaxie: "You don't have to find the perfect words. Just tell me how you're feeling, I'm here to listen"

Evelyn: "When I was four...Maybe it was my 4th birthday or something I don't know...

My father got really mad at me...I don't know for what reason....but all I know is that it made him so mad that he struck me....

for the first time....And my mother just watched.....She just allowed it to happen...My childhood is a blur, but I know that it happened more than once, at the very least"

Evelyn pauseed they felt like they were choking.

Jaxie: "Take deep breaths, you'll be ok"

Evelyn: "I-I Keep having these nightmares and it makes me scared to even think about the past anymore. It just makes me feel so weak.

Every time I have them, I just end up crying and I don't know what to do.

I genuinely feel like a young toddler that's having nightmares about a monster under their bed or.....

I just feel so alone,

Like I'm not going anywhere with any of this.

And my mental health hasn't been getting better and I keep trying, but everything feels so impossible when, like, I'm taking two steps forward, thirty steps back"

Jaxie: "Hey, We've all known each other ever since our first year of middle school, all those years ago,

Trust me, you aren't that kid anymore. You've come a long way since then.

You are not as broken as you were back then, feeling like you were an inescapable hole in your household.

I hope you know that I'm proud of you, I watched you fight your mental health for years.

You genuinely have come so far since then, you've genuinely improved so much."

Evelyn: "Sigh...thanks"

Jaxie: "Do you want some water?"

Evelyn: "yeah"

Jaxie: "ok, you should come with me. I think you need some fresh air"

Evelyn tiptoed to the balcony and Jaxie followed behind with a glass of water.

Jaxie: "Here"

Evelyn: "give me"

There was a peaceful breeze that fell across the night sky and leaves from the garden all around them danced among the stars,

The sky was so clear, yet there were so many cities and towns around them, there were just some much brighter ones.

Evelyn glanced at the cup of water Jaxie gave them.

Jaxie: "Hey, have you ever noticed how weird is that the water here is purple"

Evelyn: "It's more interesting than the water on earth"

Jaxie: "Don't you ever miss home?"

Evelyn: "Home? This is my home. earth was never a home, for any of us"

Evelyn gulped down the water like their life depended on it.

Jaxie: "holy fuck! Calm down, you might choke"

Evelyn: "You've been so anxious or panicky for the past couple months"

Jaxie: "Yeah, I don't know my head's been hurting a lot, and maybe it's because I'm not sleeping very well but I can't sleep at all. So it's just kind of a cycle, hahaha"

Evelyn: "That was the the fakest laugh of ever"

Jaxie: "Sorry...it's just, whenever I think about my parents, I feel so nauseous. I miss them a lot and I'm pretty sure my mom's dead now"

Evelyn: "Damn I get it. You have got good parents ,you always talk about them and how much you miss them. The hell over it! there gone"

Jaxie: "I-I am sorry..I just wish I could say goodbye that's all"

Evelyn: "They adopted you so why even care? It's not like it actually matters anymore.

We're back home"

Jaxie: "I...are you feeling better?"

Evelyn took a deep breath.

Evelyn: "uh, yeah"

Jaxie: "Ok, that's good, we have school in the morning. Will you be ok for the night?"

Evelyn: "yeah, I guess so."

Jaxie: "Hey just remember, one more day!"

Evelyn: "yup"