The Battle For Kheer

The next day, Suhana awoke, desperately hoping it had all been a dream. However, as her eyes scanned the unfamiliar surroundings and rested upon the bizarre attire she wore, the harsh reality set in.

Dejected, Suhana sank deeper into the duvet, yearning for the comfort of her home. She reluctantly acknowledged her situation and embraced her fate, but the sense of confinement persisted, leaving her with an unsettling feeling of living in a cage.

In this palace, the only solace for Suhana was the company of Angraj Karn. He became the person she spoke to the most, aside from Jaya, her personal maid whom she fondly referred to as a friend.

Both Angraj Karn and Jaya made efforts to be by her side whenever possible. The moments spent with Angraj Karn and Jaya became her refuge in the midst of the palace's turmoil while she actively avoided interactions with the Kauravas as much as she could.

She once encountered Suyodhan and Karn while walking with Jaya in the hallways.

Suyodhan, upon seeing his sister, smiled warmly at her. However, his smile quickly faded when she ignored him entirely, treating him as if he were air.

"Pranipat, bhrata," she greeted Karn with a bright smile instead and engaged in conversation with him, completely disregarding Suyodhan.

Desperate for her attention, Suyodhan attempted to speak to her. "Sushala," he called out.

"I'm sorry, bhrata, I have to leave. Mata has called for me," she replied with a straight face, unlike the warm smile she had shown to Karn, and then briskly departed.

Suyodhan felt as if someone had stabbed his heart.

My dear sister is ignoring me. He thought, his face twisted into a deep frown. Looking at his pained expression, Karn couldn't help but burst into laughter.

"You. What did you do to my sister?" Suyodhan accused, feeling betrayed.

He couldn't fathom why his sister, who loved him more than anyone, would ignore him.

"Do you think this is funny?" Suyodhan huffed in anger.

Karn, now laughing even harder, replied, "Well, mitra, sometimes you have to find humor in your own mistakes."

Karn, still chuckling, held Suyodhan by the shoulders. "Calm down, mitra," he said, trying to stifle his laughter. "Your sister is giving you the cold shoulder."

"Well, that I can see too," Suyodhan snapped.

"You did fix her marriage without her consent. She would obviously be upset with you," Karn explained calmly.

"What should I do, mitra? I can't bear to see her ignore me like this," Suyodhan expressed his genuine concern.

"Give her some time, mitra. And then, you properly apologize to her," Karn advised, a hint of wisdom in his words.

Suyodhan nodded his head, determined to win back his sister's heart.

And so, the daily parade of gifts from Suyodhan continued. One day, it was clothes that could probably rival an expensive wardrobe; the next day, it was jewelry that could fund a small kingdom. Suhana's room began to resemble a treasure island.

Yet, amidst the piles of gifts, Suyodhan's attempts to win back his sister's favor were met with the same icy reception. He might as well have been delivering presents to a particularly unimpressed statue.

Undeterred, he persisted, determined to melt the glacial wall Suhana had erected.

Every time Suhana glared, Suyodhan's determination only grew stronger. It was a comedic fight of siblings, and well-intentioned, if misguided, efforts to reconcile.