III

I had a choice of making more chapters or more words, I chose the latter and this chapter included the selection. A bit lenghty.
.
.

The history of slayers

Five hundred years ago, when the demons roam freely without fear, killing every human they encounter, the world was helpless. It was much darker back there. People can only run and hide, hoping to survive.

One day, a prodigy was born. Bringing the first "breathing style" to the once-weak slayers. Since that day they began to thrive. They became stronger than ever. Saving more lives and convincing others to join them.

The golden age of the demon slayers. It was all beautiful at first, yet. It didn't last very long. Controversy and fights began to start. The people insist that 'they were better than the other'  while in reality, it didn't even matter. Out of nowhere they resort to fighting. And the one who found the breathing style was nowhere to be found. As if it went wrong all of a sudden.

No one knew where he went, may it be that he was disappointed in all of them. Or did something happen to him?...

He abandoned them, and thus the people never learned to get along. Until everything was burned to the ground. A calamity appeared, once they were all distracted, the demons managed to take advantage of their situation. All of their strongest slayers fall during battle. Fighting within each other and the true demons.

They failed. Their history was burned to the ground and only a couple of scraps were left behind. Even the breathing styles were almost impossible to retrieve. All they had left of the history was the founder's name. Yoriichi Tsugikuni.

.
.
.

In starting her journey of becoming a slayer, she needed to learn the history first. She doesn't get how this will be important, but she does remember when her grandmother used to tell her stories about this, but not about the slayers.

Some parts are missing, how were the demons able to find the location of their base?  Or even how did they know about the controversy? And what kind of adults are they? Why would they fight over such simple things? She can't believe this is actual history, was there supposed to be a moral of the story to this?

"Is it necessary for me to read this? On the selection, will they ask about this?" It's not like she was complaining, there weren't even that many books, but they were all repeating the same topic and conflict. "Nope! I just want you to read a little while I grab some training props." Her trainer was kind as Koyuki said. He had a nice smile, and he accepted Tanjiro willingly. "I enjoy reading history books, but sadly that's all the books in my collection." It's incomplete, how much has been burned to the ground? 'Just when it started to become interesting..'

"Well, if they at least manage to get the name of the first founder of breathing style, have they tried searching for his descendants? Maybe they had more information about this.."

"Oh, they did find his descendants alright. It was quite complicated. There's nothing about it in the books, but I'll tell you all about it one day." He brought a bunch of practice swords, there were about twenty of them and she could choose whichever one she wanted.

"Take it as a gift. A gift for being my student." These swords looked new, does he just like giving swords like that? Just like that man she met on the mountain. He gave her his sword, and without it, she was not sure she would be here right now. "I've practiced swordsmith for quite a time now, it started as a hobby. That sword that Hakuji gave you, I made that as well."