Chapter 2

Chad made Sam some tea then sat next to her on the couch.

"So what are yours and Meg's plans for the holidays?" said Sam.

"Being together" said Chad.

Sam laughed. "I figured so."

"How about your plans? Eh?" said Chad.

"Well, the Wiggles always have something festive planned" said Sam. 

"I figured so" Chad joked.

Trusty then stole a cookie from Chad's plate.

"Trusty, that's not nice!" Sam scolded.

Chad laughed. "He's perfectly welcome. No one said dogs didn't like biscuits, eh?"

Sam laughed with him. "Say. You're the only one here, Chad. Where's Tim?"

"He's had a busy schedule lately, jockeying Christmas records" said Chad.

"And Digby?" said Sam.

"Spending the holidays with his sister in London."

"And Pat?"

"He was required to attend a very important meeting. All veteran actors and animators and writers are required" said Chad.

"Wow. Every head in Actorville's there. Must be pretty big" said Sam.

"Very. So big, it's taken a toll on everyone here. Even the newcomers" said Chad.

"Oh my gawrsh, what is it?" said Sam.

Chad took a deep breath. 

"Come on, Chad, tell me" said Sam.

Chad moved closer and took Sam's hands. "Sam... when was the last time you saw Walt Disney?"

"Not too long ago, when he asked Robin and me to sing him a catchy song" answered Sam.

"How did he bid you goodbye before?" said Chad.

"Well, before that day, he always said 'I'll see you tomorrow' or 'next week' or 'next time you come in' or something" said Sam.

"And what did he say the last time you saw him?" said Chad.

"I thought it was weird. Walt said 'goodbye, Sam'. He never said that to me before" said Sam.

"He said it to me too. Coming from someone who never said 'goodbye', what d'you suppose that means?" said Chad.

"Well, I guess if I've never heard him say goodbye, I'd expect it to imply that I'm never gonna..." Sam started to get worried. "See him again."

"And when do you know when you're never going see someone again?" Chad asked with tears in his eyes.

Sam knew exactly what the answer to that was, but couldn't bear to say it out loud.

"Chad, you're not saying that..." she said.

"I am."

Sam shook her head. "I knew that neck pain he had was serious."

Chad nodded. "He had lung cancer, luv. That's what I've heard."

"What's gonna happen to his company? What's gonna happen to Actorville?" said Sam.

"I don't know. But I hope that's discussed in the meeting" said Chad.

The two devastated friends hugged.