Chapter 9

"Sam already knows Walt's dead?" said Calvin.

"Yeah. I think she does. She was in Actorville today, right?" said Meg.

"Yes. I told Sam and Trusty when they visited" said Chad.

"Who's Trusty?" said Jeremy.

"Sam's loyal, crook-tracking bloodhound" said Calvin.

"My buddy Tramp could meet that level of loyalty. He knows his way around" said Charles Wallace.

"Except for that time he got taken to the dog pound" said Meg.

"But that was before I got him a collar" said Charles Wallace.

Meg laughed. "We used to argue about whose dog was better. Chad, you'd probably speak for Jock because he's mine."

"Now that I've met Sam's dog, I'm not so sure" said Chad.

"I couldn't speak for any of them because I didn't have my own dog then" said Calvin.

"But you do now, eh?" said Jeremy.

"Yeah. Lady. My wife loves her almost as much as me" said Calvin.

"Well, that's good" said Andy with a smile.

"How about you, Andy? Did you ever have a dog?" said Meg.

"No. My dad always thought pets were unsanitary" said Andy.

"Welcome to life with my dad" said Calvin.

Meg sighed. "Well, I'm... glad I was able to tell you guys the bad news."

"Correction: Tragic news" said Charles Wallace.

"Right. Tragic news" Meg whispered.

"On that note... Meg and I should get to bed. But you're all welcome whenever" said Chad.

He led Meg back to their apartment.

"I can tell Chad's taking it real hard" said Calvin.

"Me too. But we should also think of people who were really close to Walt" said Charles Wallace.

"That's right, lad. Like his wife for instance" said Jeremy.

Calvin perked up. "Golly day, you're right, Jeremy! This may very well be her first Christmas without him."

"Oh yeah! Of all the times of year for her husband to die" said Charles Wallace. 

"I hope she's okay" said Andy.

"Me too. I'll tell you what. We'll tell Sam what we think and the three of us will pay Walt's wife a visit tomorrow" said Calvin. 

"That'd be great. I heard she has her own apartment in Actorville" said Charles Wallace.

"Calvin, you should get some rest. And your wife's probably wondering what happened to you" said Andy. 

Calvin gave a soft smile. "I guess so. Good night."

"Good night" said Andy kissing the boy's cheek.

"Night, Cal" said Charles Wallace.

"Night, buddy. Good night, Jeremy" said Calvin before leaving.

"Good night" said Jeremy. 

Charles Wallace sighed and sat on Jeremy's bed.

"Are you alright, Charles?" said Jeremy.

"Yeah. I'm just sad to lose Walt" said Charles Wallace.

"You have lost a lot of people, haven't you?" said Andy.

"Yeah. My mother died a couple years ago... John Lennon broke our friendship for that dummy Yoko. My grandmother died a while ago... and now Walt's gone too. It's almost like everyone I look up to is going away" said Charles Wallace.

Jeremy smiled. "Charles the lad... even after I get married, I'll still be your roommate. And you still have your sister. In fact, after she married, your family expanded. And your friends are your real family, I'd say."

"You're right. What was I thinking? That's the grief talking" said Charles Wallace.

Just then, a squeaking sound was heard.

"What the heck was that?" said Charles Wallace.