Chapter 6

In his apartment, Chad was rocking his daughters to sleep while singing them an original lullaby.

I'll be a river silent and strong

If you will sail on me

I'll carry your boat and keep it from harm

On your journey to the sea

I'll be a current of tropical wind

If you'll be a snow white dove

I'll ruffle your feathers and sing you a song

To tell you of my love

I'll be the sandman and lull you to sleep with my song

Hmm-mm-mmm, mm-mmm, mm-mm-mmm

Your eyelids are heavy and you'll be asleep before long

I'll be a moonbeam dappled with light

If you'll rest your sleepy head

I'll dance on your pillow and kiss you goodnight

And keep watch by your bed

As soon as the girls were asleep, Chad went to the kitchen to find his wife Meg drinking some tea.

"It must have been awful when they told you Walt was dead" said Meg.

"It was. But it was obvious in retrospect" said Chad.

"What do you mean?" said Meg.

"The last time anyone saw him, he looked so frail and gaunt" said Chad.

"I wish I was there. If I were, I would have removed that cancer tumor in five minutes. And it would have been a huge honor" said Meg.

"I know, sweet" said Chad rubbing his wife's arm.

"What about your guys? Do they know?" said Meg.

"The veterans were meeting about it today. Tim and Digby are away, so didn't think I should spoil their Christmases. But I did have to break it to Sam. Poor little lamb" said Chad.

Meg nodded. "You know, Chad... it's strange because I didn't know Walt very well, but... his death left as big an impact on me as it did you."

Chad smiled and held her. "I understand. I heard Ollie Johnston and Frank Thomas discussing it the other day. They said Walt was a father figure to the whole studio. You never think your father is going to leave."

"I know how that feels" said Meg. "But did Walt ever think about what would happen to his studio after he died?"

"I don't think he ever did. But I did hear talk that he did ask Woolie Reitherman to take over as the head man" said Chad.

"Who is he? An animator?" said Meg.

"Yes, but he's been directing for a while now" said Chad.

"I hope he keeps Walt's spirit alive" said Meg.

"Me too."

"Do Jeremy and Charles Wallace know?" said Meg.

"No; I haven't told them. Jeremy's been ill and I didn't want to build his stress" said Chad.

"I'm particularly worried about Charles Wallace. Walt was an inspiration for him to work in a studio" said Meg.

Chad gave a sympathetic smile and kissed his wife's forehead. "Do you want to tell him?"

"I feel like I should" said Meg near tears.

"Do you want me to go with you" said Chad.

Meg sniffled and nodded her head.

Chad put his arm around her and exited the apartment with her