Chapter 24

Calvin, Sam, and Charles Wallace were in Lillian Disney's house, having tea with her.

"I must thank you three for returning. I expect you've got much on your mind" said Lillian.

"Yes ma'am. My wife is worried about Actorville's Christmas spirit" said Calvin.

"Tell your wife there's no use in worrying" said Lillian.

"I could tell her that, but there is use to her" said Calvin.

"But there's also my coworker worrying about her mentally sick friend" said Sam.

"Mmm. Mental health is always something to worry about. Especially those who are under the mindset that diversity is something to hate someone for" said Lillian.

Just then, a little chowchow came running and jumped on the couch where the kids were sitting.

"Hey there, little fella" said Sam petting the dog. 

The chowchow sprinted over to Calvin and licked his face.

"Oh, hi. Aren't you curious" he said. 

"He always was. Dogs seem to like judging humans" said Lillian.

"And that's another thing. My brother-in-law is questioning the way he judges dogs" said Charles Wallace.

"Oh?" said Lillian.

"Yeah. You see, the other day, Charles Wallace's dog saved his daughter" said Sam.

"But he saved her in a dangerous way, apparently, and Chad didn't like that so much" added Calvin.

"And he overreacted" finished Sam.

"And now he's got a stray black lab puppy in his apartment. He seems to really feel bad about the way he's been treating dogs" said Charles Wallace.

"But the overreaction is understandable in my perspective" said Lillian. 

"Understandable, ma'am?" said Calvin.

"Yes. I never liked dogs myself. So if either of my daughters were attacked by one, I would react in the exact same way your brother in law did" said Lillian.

"You would?" said Charles Wallace.

"But if you don't like dogs, then why do you have one?" said Calvin.

"You misunderstand, my good boy. I used to dislike dogs" said Lillian.

"So what changed your mind?" said Sam.

"Walt did. He always had a way of changing my mind" said Lillian.

"How'd he change your mind about dogs? We gotta know" said Charles Wallace.

"Very well. It was soon after we got our first home. Walt wanted a dog, but I would have nothing to do with them" said Lillian.

"So what did he do?" said Sam.

"On Christmas Day, he presented me with a big hatbox tied up with ribbon. And when I opened it, there was that chowchow sitting with you" said Lillian.

"A dog in a hatbox with a ribbon?" said Sam.

"Isn't that the way it worked in Lady and the Tramp?" said Calvin.

"It is indeed. Walt used that for the opening because the moment I opened the hatbox, this dog was my baby" said Lillian.

"That is so awesome! But if only Walt could confirm how Chad treats dogs like that" said Charles Wallace.

"Well, if he already has a little pup in his place, I feel like he's confirmed it himself" said Calvin.

"But he's worried about the dogcatcher finding the puppy. He told me to tell you guys about that" said Charles Wallace.

"It's not exactly our place to tell a dogcatcher not to do his job" said Calvin.

"Good man, Calvin. But still, I wouldn't worry. As long as the puppy remains protected, she shan't get caught. But Chad had best purchase a license to make doubly sure she's protected" said Lillian.

"We're gonna do what we can, ma'am" said Charles Wallace. 

"And, on that note, it's getting late, and Charles Wallace promised Andy he'd take her to buy Jeremy's wedding present" said Sam.

"Oh yeah! I better dash" said Charles Wallace. 

The three of them were about to go, but Lillian stopped Sam. 

"Sergeant. I expect you're busy tomorrow, but I'd still like a visit from you. The presence of such a joyful volunteer at Actorville has been helping me tremendously" said Lillian.

"Certainly, ma'am. Anytime" said Sam.

Then she left with her friends.