Chapter 21

The next day at work, Andy approached Sam at her desk.

"Sam, I know you might be thinking about a lot, but I'm afraid I have to add to it" she said.

"What is it, Andy?" said Sam.

"Chad found this little... black lab pup. And she didn't have a collar, so I just figured she's a stray" said Andy.

"I see he really hasn't banned dogs" said Sam.

"No, I told him about the law about unlicensed dogs. Would you let Chad keep the pup?" said Andy.

"McNally, it's not for me to decide. If it were, I would let Chad have the dog. But if the dog catcher saw an unlicensed dog, he would take it to the pound, Chad or no Chad" said Sam.

"That's why I'm asking for help. There are signs all over town" said Andy.

"The law will allow Chad to have his fun raising an unlicensed puppy, but who knows for how long" said Sam.

Andy sighed though her nose. 

"Look. I'll do whatever I can to protect that pup, but there's no guaranteeing that she'll be safe forever" said Sam.

"Thanks" said Andy quietly.

Sam smiled and nodded with determination. 

Then the phone on her desk rang, and she picked it up.

"Sergeant Pan" she said.

She let the caller answer.

"Oh, hi, Mrs Disney! How nice to hear from you. I gather you're doing okay?" said Sam.

Lillian answered on the other side.

"Awesome. What can I do for you, ma'am?" said Sam.

Lillian answered again.

"Yeah, I've been thinking about it too. It was very pleasant being in your apartment" said Sam.

Her face lit up as Lillian answered.

"Well, of course I'll come right over. I'm sure my guys can make it too" said Sam.

Andy shook her head rapidly to get Sam's attention. 

"Uh... one moment please, ma'am" said Sam.

She put her hand over the phone. "Andy, what's wrong?"

"Your boys can't go. Charles Wallace said he knows exactly what I can give Jeremy for a wedding gift. He's taking me to go get it tonight" said Andy.

Sam furrowed her brow then got back on the phone. "Mrs Disney... would you consider rescheduling the meeting? Perhaps at an earlier time?"

Lillian responded once again.

"I'm glad. I'll even stop work early for your sake, madam" said Sam.

Lillian answered then bid her goodbye.

"Of course, ma'am. Bye-bye" said Sam.