14

third person pov

the tv hums in the background as a show plays. hajime sits on the couch with a book in his hands, eyebrows furrowed as he concentrates.

nagito sits on the floor, books and papers across the coffee table as he types away in his computer. he mumbles from time to time, pausing and then typing faster. he stretches his arms above his head, his shirt riding up slightly. hajime's eyes snap over to nagito before quickly returning to his book.

after a while, hajime gasps as he sits up straighter, gawking at the book. nagito looks up curiously, blinking up at the brunette.

"what the hell?" hajime grumbles, eyes scanning over the page repeatedly. then, he peers down at nagito with a confused expression. "you said you've never read this book before." he begins, referring to the conversation they had a few weeks ago.

nagito nods, eyeing him curiously.

"so how did you know they all die in the end?" hajime seems baffled, as he places the book down next to him. nagito grins at him with a shrug.

"lucky g—"

"if you finish that sentence, i'll hit you."

"..." nagito stops talking, but offers an amused smile. hajime rolls his eyes, scoffing. but there's a small smile on his features. then, the brunette moves to sit on the floor next to nagito. his eyes trail to his laptop curiously, then to the male next to him.

"you should take a break, you know." the brunette mumbles, eyes finding his. "you shouldn't overwork yourself." then, he quickly averts his gaze, looking over to the mess on the coffee table instead.

nagito holds back another smile, bumping his knee against hajime's. "are you worried over little old me?"

"never-mind." hajime rolls his eyes, shifting as he tries to stand up. without second thought, nagito grabs his arm, pulling him down. they stare at each other for a moment, eyes wide. nagito clears his throat, letting go of hajime's arm.

"stay for a bit?" he asks, looking at the brunette but then shifting his gaze back to his laptop. he felt bold. he enjoyed the brunette's presence.

after a pause, hajime nods silently. he focuses on the laptop, crossing his arms but with a passive expression. since when do they sit this close? he brushes it off, assuming nagito's just bored out of his mind.

"do you need help?" hajime offers, shifting his gaze to the male. nagito shakes his head, with a small grin.

"nah. just keep me company."

hajime nods, and goes silent again. this isn't normal for the two, but he isn't exactly against it.

and so they sit in a somewhat comfortable silence, as nagito types away on his computer. hajime deep in thought, eyebrows furrowed. just wait till he tells souda this, he'll lose it.

hajime can already hear his annoying voice. enemies to lovers?!

hajime audibly sighs. nagito eyes him, "bored? you can leave if you want." he says sheepishly, feeling embarrassed.

the brunette shakes his head, "just thinking."

and with that, more silence.

hajime takes a moment to silently admire nagito. he hadn't noticed before, but nagito is pretty. like, annoyingly pretty. especially like this, hair tied back, glasses resting on his face. his face showing his concentration.

hajime almost forgets to blink. he's almost jealous of nagito and his stupid, pretty face.

unbeknownst to him, nagito is sweating bullets. he has no idea why the brunette's eyes are trained on him, and he's incredibly nervous to find out. he gulps quietly, typing away absolute nonsense. he thinks back to his conversation with sonia, about apologizing to the bitter brunette.

hajime's eyes look elsewhere, a small frown on his features. he's supposed to hate nagito, yet here he is admiring his beauty — or whatever.

. . .

hajime mumbles he has to use the bathroom quickly, at which nagito nods silently, eyes focused on his laptop. the brunette stands up, leaving his phone on the coffee table. nagito doesn't notice, until he gets a message.

nagito tries not to look at the notifications, but catches a glimpse of them anyway. i mean, hinata's fault for leaving the phone facing up. he shrugs and takes a peek.

makoto n.
have you been playing nice with nagito??
is it working?

ah... playing nice?

woah.. midterms kicked my ass.
not proof read leave me alone