20

third person pov

hajime sits at his desk, kazuichi's words replaying in his mind. he couldn't shake the feeling that he was missing something important.

he sighs, eyes trailing down to his thick textbooks. he can't focus, mind preoccupied with something else. someone else.

god he hates studying.

meanwhile, nagito busied himself in the kitchen, heart racing because of how nervous he was. he thought back to sonia's words, a meaningful gesture. he figured, making hajime's favorite meal would be enough.

now, nagito isn't some master chef or anything. but since this was for hajime, he figured he'd try his best. he even asked hanamura for tips!

nagito sets the table, stomach full of nervous little butterflies. he wonders if hajime will appreciate this.

nagito walks down the hall to knock on hajime's door. "food's ready." he speaks loud enough for the brunette to hear.

"one second."

hajime groans, rubbing his face. he hasn't processed a single bit of information. he gets up, walking down the hallway as he stares down at his phone. when he raises his head, he pauses.

the room looked slightly different. being dimly lit with soft, ambient lights. the table was set with what appeared to be a carefully prepared dinner.

he was definitely impressed.

"what's all this?" he asks, visibly confused.

nagito shrugs, trying to conceal his anxiety. "i was in the mood for a nice dinner." he clarifies, as if he didn't spend a good two hours perfecting everything.

hajime nods, with a pleased smile.

they both sit down, across from each other. hajime can't help but think this looks romantic. he definitely appreciates the effort nagito had put into everything. it was touching, in a way that made hajime question whatever he felt.

"was it good?" nagito asks, after they both finish eating. he doesn't need to ask, because hajime's plate was emtpy. perhaps he just wanted to hear it.

"are you kidding? you put hanamura to shame." hajime confirms, with an easy smile that makes nagito's chest feel weird.

he smiles back, but it falters for a moment as he gulps. "i'm sorry for how i treated you in high school." he blurts out. hajime looks back up, eyebrows furrowed.

"i treated you like shit, and i never apologized. i should've — well you know." he continues, "i know i hurt you, even if you act like you don't care."

hajime sputters, about to defend himself.

"but i really want to be," nagito pauses, as if debating something. "your friend. your real friend, not just because naegi told you to play nice. but because i care about you."

hajime's heart pounded. despite the dim light, he could see the earnestness in nagito's eyes. he takes a while to respond, mouth opening and shutting like some fish out of water.

nagito is patient, eyes never leaving hajime's as he waits.

"i can see you're really trying, and i appreciate that. honestly i want to move past it too, i want to be your friend." hajime responds slowly, unsure of how to word it. he shakes his head, reaching to take nagito's hand in his.

nagito's eyes snap down. "so lets just forget about that. we're friends, nagito." hajime confirms, squeezing his hand.

"okay... well i just wanted to apologize, y'know, properly." nagito mutters, much too distracted by their intertwined hands.

"i know. you're forgiven." hajime nods, "especially after dinner. how'd you know that was my favorite?" he grins.

nagito smiles mischievously. "lucky guess?"

"i should hit you."

nagito laughs, "but it really was!"

. . .

it was hours later that hajime realizes he had held nagito's hand.

he lays in bed, eyes wide open asking himself what the fuck was that. "oh my god, oh my fucking god." he whispers to himself, hands covering his whole face.

he rolls over to his bedside table to grab his phone, typing away furiously in hopes that kazuichi is awake.

meanwhile, nagito lays awake thinking the exact same thing. i mean, what the fuck?

why do they both find themselves missing the feeling?

more apologies n shit because i can
wanna remind u all im an adult & i have a LIFE so i can't always update quickly thanks
[not proofread, see u soon]