14

Once my story is finished to M and NJ, the sky is low and I know that it's nearly five.

"But what club is it?" comes from NJ.

I omitted the name to them while  I told my life story, although some nights those letters are the only things that I can see behind my eyelids.

"I can't say," I shake my head again.

"No, better question," M interjects, staring at me seriously, "How much money do you need?"

The three of us make plans to meet again on another day. I drive back through town, towards my place, the numbers that I told M swirling around and around in my mind. I owe that much money. I don't think she'll be able to get it. I don't believe that the hope that swells up within me will ever feel fulfilled.

I pack my bag, and drive from Oared to Chiara next.

Road is all that I see, stretching out before me and around me. I feel like I'm not really here. Some of that might be from the pills, some of it might be from...just my brain alone. On autopilot. Completing actions. Damn, I really hate this job but I need it. Who is my dad? Why am I just now meeting my siblings? Why do so many of my questions have to go unanswered?

I slide my mask onto my face as the outline of the club meets my view.

Another day...another dollar.

On my troubles have to melt away. They all melt away against him. NJ wants to help me but Ranger Guy helps. His hand grasps the back of my neck I stare up at his face as he leans over me. My legs wrap around his waist, like they were meant to be there, like the cords on a vacuum cleaner.

My sighs brush against his face and his against mine, refreshing as the heat builds up between us. He's naked and...I don't mind, frankly. He pulls what little I have on off, his eyes taking care of what his hands don't slide off. He takes me in, each shallow breath of his another one into me as our bodies press together and pure euphoria spreads through me.

Is this visit for him or for me? For the client or for the worker? He's a dynamite, and I'm his spark. Our mouths connec, and I'm somewhere nice that's not here in this club. Not here with Vanilla and her secrets and new minions, not here with a girl who I thought was looking out for me.

Weeks and weeks go on, and it's September, and I look forward to the nights Ranger Guy is on my clientele list. We can't stay off of each other and he always tips, always pays out a lot. Maybe I'm in my head too much, maybe this isn't love. When I'm not at the club, NJ and M are helping me work out how to raise my money, pulling from different sources and accounts, waiting for the day I'll be able to pay off my debt. NJ and I are closer, but every time I feel like I might lean in and kiss him, Ranger Guy's face pops up. I feel bad because he's helping me so much, but my heart yearns for a man I could trace out in my dreams but never have in reality.

One night, Babe catches me by the arm before I walk through the tunnel, only bottoms on me, the shirt I plan to whip around balled up in my hand.

"You're makin' a mistake. Dancin' with fire, Bunnie. Just know that I know," her dark eyes bore into mine. She seems older somehow and more frail than the last time I seen her.

"You don't care about me, Babe. You haven't spoken to me in damn near a month. Everybody's against me here. Everybody."

Babe only shook her head, "You keep dancin' with fire, you'll get burned, mamas. I don't want that for you. You'll strong but not that strong-

"I'm tired of people tellin' me what I am and what I'm not," I snap, "I'm going to pay off my debt and leave this place behind."

"Not if you fall for the tricks," she stares me down before walking off.

Vanilla Dreem saunters off stage, on a new high, skin glowing, body and everything else nearly looking alright. She gives me a snide little laugh, like she can't still believe I'm hanging around. "Guess we're all witnessing the fall of the mighty Bunnie."

"I don't want the validation this club gives me anymore. But if you're still immature and want it, by all means...go for it, Vanilla," I bite back. "The attention that any of these guys could give don't really mean sh-

"Oh shut up," she gets all up in my face, "When it was you the crowds cheered for and you were stealin' all the money and attention from the other girls, you didn't care. You were on top of the world, and you thought you were better than everybody else. Now we can all see you were just-just-just something...momentary," Vanilla states, exasperated trying to find the right word.

"All this time, I've been wondering who you are. What that name you gave me meant. If it was real or not, if it belonged to you," I say slowly.

I realize that my name's being called out to come out onto stage but I don't care. I point at Vanilla, my gaze venomous, "You won't ruin my life again, Laya."

She only laughs, walking away, ass and hips moving.

And so I continue to be mad at Babe and Vanilla and everyone else affiliated with the club, taking it out on my sessions with Ranger Guy. If the room was made of glass, the walls would be steamed, and a heart would be drawn out at the center of the room, one side done by the each of us.

After a a particularly wild session in the private rooms, Ranger Guy lies next to me on the floor, head resting on his arm as he pulls me against him.

"I'm ready to show you more, Bunnie. Can I do that?" he's breathless and beautiful here in this dimly lit room. I say yes, hands traveling over his chest.

He calls out the names of the collector and security guard, and they burst in, both holding robes, one smaller than the other, a bit more fine than the ones we usually have at the club.

"What's this?" I ask, surprised, nakedly walking to the doorway, shrugging on the robe and covering up.

Ranger Guy does the same, only giving me a little smile as we walk down the halls and I wonder why he never made a move to pay the collector his other half for the night. Maybe he's already paid in full? Perhaps this is all some new special offer the clients get? They should tell the workers about new changes like this, I think a little angrily.

We round a corner, and a stairwell heading upwards and upwards takes my breath. I hadn't noticed it before. Eventually we reach a cellar-like door, two guards standing besides it with grim expressions that ease once they see Ranger Guy.

"What's going on?" I ask him lowly, losing my annoying 'sexy voice' I put on for my clients. "Where are we goin'?"

Ranger Guy ignores me, opening the doors to a large office, empty of any person but filled with lavish furniture and decor.

If I could truly turn pale, I'd be ghost-white right now. My hands shake as what Babe had been trying to tell me all this time finally sinks in.

"You're...You're the Boss," I whisper, hands covering my mouth. We're left alone as the office door closes behind us. He bends to both knees, pulling me down with him. We sit on our legs, atop soft carpet, my eyes wide as I try to remain calm.

"But to you...Dieson."