25

Work is another success, even though it does annoy me that I have an actual job to do as well. After Dieson's desk is sorted and cleaned off, and I learn how to view his finances (under his watchful gaze of course), it's time for me to go home. If I could call that place that.

I was on my way out of the club when I spotted legs laid out on the ground backstage.

I glanced towards the exit door where I should be heading, then back at the body. I hesistantly approached it, surprised that no one else had spotted it.

Vanilla.

Her face was colorless, her natural hair out and coily around her head. Droplets of blood leaked from the corner of her mouth and her hands were folded across her chest over another crappy bumblebee outfit. I crouched down besides her, pressing my fingers to her neck.

"Laya," I sigh, closing her eyes. Not another person.

I get up and go to find one of the security guards, and soon, the area is closed off, all sets done for the night. Dieson comes down from his office, sunglasses on and a cool composure. I'm pulled aside and I worry that my driver might come in and snatch me away.

"What does it look like, Benjamin?" Dieson nods to one of his guards.

"Overdose," he grunted.

And that's it, Vanilla's body is moved and arrangements are made to contact her family. I view a familiar face drifting through the club, heading for the private rooms again. I subtly nod at Ali, then turn back to Dieson, forcing myself to hold onto his arm.

"What did she overdose on-

"Does it really matter?" he snapped at me. He unwraps himself from me, then stalks away, and I want to follow but I know it's time to go. Did he have something special with Vanilla, was that why he was mad? Or did Dieson think more so like my father...and was only worried about how this might affect business.

I leave for the night, surprised to find Ali in the vehicle with my driver.

"Get in."

I sit next to him in the backseat as the divider slides up. "Why are you here?" I ask.

"Maybe I needed a ride back to the mansion, too."

"What do you want, Ali?" I ask, already feeling a headache forming. I don't wanna argue with him right now. I don't have enough in me to do it.

"I saw what happened," he murmured.

"What?" I glance over at him.

"With the girl on the ground," he added.

"Her name was Laya," I sigh, leaning against the window.

"I thought you guys weren't supposed to know each other's names at the club?"

"I knew her before," I say vaguely.

"I'm sorry for your loss," he comments.

"It wasn't much of a loss, to be honest. Just sad. I hope her family does okay," I shrug tiredly.

"Anymore information on Dieson to relay to Father?"

I stay quiet for a long time.

"He has a trip coming up. Business. Am I cleared to attend?" I roll my eyes.

"Yes, but, I should come along. Far away of course and perhaps with some extra men-

"Or you could just come. I trust you to protect me. You're very skilled at what you do. Whatever...that is," I add, batting my lashes.