34

After I'm dressed, I put on my game day face, not showing Ali that my encounter with him has bothered me at all. And they say that women are weak. I convince him that I want to spend some more time in the mall, and that he can pick me up in another hour. I sense that he only agrees because he has something else he needs to do.

I wonder why Ali never told me he knew Ethayn, but why he decided to tell me that he was unsure if he could trust her.

I work my way to a phone store, buying one and setting up a plan. All of Ethayn's money is spent, but I still have Dieson's card to swipe. I had only paid for my lingerie on his card, so I decide to indulge in some more clothing. I find myself picking out things for Amina, and even a Canadian-made scarf for Hadassa. At the end of my shopping spree, it is Ethayn, Ali, and Dieson that I can't seem to find gifts for. What do people who indulge in crime do in their free time? Did Ethayn maybe like to knit? Would it be weird to buy her a sex toy? Did Ali like anime or books? Did Dieson like novelty baseball caps or handmade rugs?

I was at a lost, and my free time at the mall was running out. Did I need to buy them anything? But no, that wasn't the way I was raised. Maybe I didn't have to get Ali anything, but I'd get Ethayn something. At least. Heck, I was Dieson's present, I really didn't need to worry about him. And all I wanted to give Ali was a nice shove off of a roof.

I wander the mall aimlessly, trying to find peace here like everyone else seems to be doing. It just different being in this country, but so much the same that it feels like I never even left home. Could I move to Canada? Would it be so bad to consider it?

"Do you want to try some perfume?"

I almost walk past the sales lady, until I decide perfume is a pretty neutral gift to give someone you don't know that well. Sleep is honestly beginning to crush down on me, and I can feel myself getting tired. New phone pocketed and a hell of a day will do that for you.

"What scents do y'all have?" I ask curiously, watching as the girl about my age or a few years up hurried to spritz a fragrance onto a half-cut notecard. Ultimately I find a nice scent for Ethayn, and go to the entrance I agreed to meet Ali at.

He picks me up, and I keep my face blank as he takes my bags from me and stuffs them into his trunk.

"Courtlynn?"

My gaze slides over his way, slowly and with every bit of attitude. "Wassup?"

"I'm sorry about how I behaved earlier," he apologizes.

It felt geniune, but actions speak louder than words.

"I'm...tired. Just drop me back off at Dieson's please." I try to make a mental note to get Ethayn's number so I can ask how Harriet is doing, if we don't see each other first.

"Why align yourself with Ethayn?" I ask, breaking the silence as the Canadian estate we resided at began to come into view.

"She aligns herself with me. I have all the power, and she has the networks up here. She wants money, and she's hungry with motivation. I needed someone similar to me, and also someone who knew Dieson. If Ethayn trusts me, him trusting me shouldn't be a problem," he explained easily.

"Or you could have Dieson killed after having him sign his club over to you, and let Ethayn run both clubs," I state, "But there's a reason...you want to keep him alive."

"Yes. There is," Ali tells me quietly.

We pull up in front of the estate and Ali gently lies his hand on my wrist. "What?" I ask softly, staring down at him, half of my body out of the vehicle.