46

We were halfway to Chiara when we got a flat, M complaining as we all got out to look at it.

"I told NJ to get this tire checked out," she mumbled. Dieson stood near the edge of the shoulder so traffic wouldn't hit M as she bent down. Our weapons were stuffed into the trunk. I swore we ran over a nail on our way out of the warehouse, raggedy ass driveway.

"I see the nail," M calls out. "This is bad. We're not gonna be able to make it to Chiara before the five o'clock traffic."

"I wanna get that bastard tonight," Dieson tell us.

"It's lookin' a whole lot like tomorrow," M commented, grunting as she tried to pull at the nail. We all watched in despair as the tire deflated.

"Can't you call some guys in another vehicle to come and get us? Whoever took your sports cars and picked it up from the mall or something like that?" M suggested.

"I don't think we should be trustin' Dieson's guys right now. Too many of them are intertwined with Cerbey's men. I know that much," I say, sending Dieson an apologetic look.

"Courtlynn's right. I don't know who I can really trust," he sighed.

"I vote to pushin' it off the freeway in case anyone's watchin' for us to come this way towards Chiara. One of us walks to a nearby motel, and we spend da night there," M shrugs.

"I can at least have a vehicle sent for us. That much I trust," Dieson comments.

"No. We'll go through one of my guys."

"How come you have so many connections?" Dieson inquires, "All the right ones."

"Maybe I'm just the right sort of girl," M shoots back.

I raise a brow, "Hey, hey."

"Friendly fire, Courtlynn," Dieson grins at M, "Only friendly. She gets on my nerves as much as NJ did- does."

"How can we know we can trust your contacts if Dieson's can't be trusted?" I ask M, ignoring the statement.

"We don't. But it's a smarter idea." Then she answered Dieson's question, "I get people willing to help me because I'm not an arrogant, absentminded asshole, and because they owe me after getting them the money they need."

"We need money right now. Extra manpower to go up against Cerbey's people," I state, "Yeah, we got weapons, but they do too. We can easily be outnumbered, overpowered, and defeated."

"I'll see what I can work out," M tells me. She gets the deflated tire, sighing. "Or, we just leave this old thing behind, and get NJ a new one."

"The guns," Dieson reminds her, "We wouldn't be able to transport all of them."

So that's how we ended up pushing a Jeep down an exit ramp, hoping that a motel was nearby for us to crash at.

"Dieson, let us push, I don't want you to mess up your stitches," I remind him.

"What I look like as a man, watching two females push a car while I stand back and walk behind y'all?"

"Dieson, get outta ya head, and think about ya health. If you can't stand on two legs, you won't be able to get to Cerbey with me," and that shuts him up. He settles for leaning against the vehicle, pretending to push as M and I put in work.

I think after these last few days, my body just might give out on me. I've surely tested her limits.

"I hate this," he grumbled.

"I can't stand three-legged dogs," I mumble.

M chuckles, sweat pouring down the sides of her face as we keep pushing.