39

A few weeks pass, and Dieson's cleared to leave the hospital and travel back to Texas with me. My father has arranged and forced Ethayn to accept the deal between him and her, and now he owns half of Dieson's club. Once I take over, I'll own half.

My father has punished Ethayn for interfering in what he's now calling the Cerbey Race, the race to gain his throne by attempting to blow me up. She has lost all she owns, and is stripped to a lowly position in his empire, away from Canada and nowhere particular that I know of.

Dieson and I sit on a private jet owned by my father, his gaze still a bit loopy from the pain medication he was given.

We don't speak until we land back in Texas at my father's private airport, and even then we only exchange a few words.

Did he regret trying to save me? Was he angry with me for agreeing on his behalf when he wasn't feeling well; as far as giving my father half of his earnings from the Canadian club?

"Thank you, Dieson. I don't know if I had said that yet," I tell him. He walks and grunts, holding his midsection a bit, but too much of a male to want me to wheel him around in a wheelchair. The Texan air is heavier than back in Canada, and the weather has decided to be hot today even though it's now the tail end of October.

"It's fine. If you're wonderin' if I regret savin' you, the answer's a no. I'd do it all over again, Courtlynn," he holds my gaze, and I look away, suddenly shy.

"Ali told me what you two had going on."

I don't feel anger towards him, he wasn't ever fully mine, still isn't now. I can't expect loyalty from him on a relationship stance, when we were only partners in a cruel business.

"I'm sorry."

I didn't expect it. I hid a smile, biting my lip instead, still looking away from him as we walked towards a waiting car. I wonder if Dieson topped Ali? I wonder why my insides stir.

"You don't have to apologize, Dieson. For being in love."

"I wasn't in love with him. It was only physical-

"But aren't we the same way...Dieson?" I stare at him, meeting his gaze head on.

"I want to be more than physical with you."

"You want a relationship?" I ask him.

"We don't have to label it. I just want you. And only you," we stop walking, feet away from the sedan.

"I don't know if my father approves," I say cautiously.

Excitement twinkles in his eyes at my words, his breath heavy as we kiss.

"That's enough kids," one of the security guards call out.

"He would have killed me by now if he didn't," Dieson smiles, grabbing my hand, and leaning on me as we enter the vehicle.

The windows are darkly tinted, per usual, and the driver slides the divider up for the entirety of the ride. I catch Dieson up on everything and we speak lightly, knowing that our conversation might be recorded.

We make it to our destination, and the mansion we are let out to isn't the same white, eyesore.

Dieson marvels at the view as we both take in the golden architecture and statues, the pristine bushes with shapes of arrows and ovals. The halls have an old elegance to them, and brass tables with wooden legs. Heavy carpets and a heavy perfume that coats the halls with no clear source. We're lead by four guards to a room, and enter my father's study. No signs of Hadassa or Amina yet.

My father sits in a large chair, books only lining one wall in here, a giant window to the other side. This room is more airy and open than the mansion from the last time, but still as grand. Still as privileged.

"Daughter," my father clears his throat, "And Dieson," he adds.

"Father," I say, my tone not as cold as it once had been.

I sound like the twins, but I don't care. Some things about this place I won't adopt, and other things I have. "Amina and Hadassa are on their way from Delaware. I had my wife attend to some business," he states, "Be prepared. Be aware. If Amina wants the throne, and I'm sure that she might or might not, then you need to trust no one, Courtlynn. That is my only advice," his gaze slides over to Dieson, "I trust you not to interfere either."

"I'll keep Courtlynn safe," Dieson vowed, hinting that no matter if he had to interfere or not, my safety was top priority.

"We need to speak," my father's gaze settled on him, "About you and my daughter."

Like he had any right to have a say in my romantic life.

"Mr. Cerbey," one of the security guards stuck her head in, slicked back hair and coily baby hairs, "I just received word that your wife and daughter," her gaze momentarily flicked towards me, "have arrived at the mansion."

"Lead them here," he says cheerfully, and dismisses Dieson and I with a wave of his hand.

Hadassa and Amina must have moved quickly, us four passing one another in the hall as we leave my father's study. Amina's gaze is warm and opening, although a bit haunted, like she remembered what I had done to Ali. Hadassa's gaze was steely.

I had killed her only son.

Would my step mother help Amina have an advantage over me? I feel almost stupid thinking that she wouldn't. Of course she would, that was her daughter and I was not hers.

Dieson's arm wraps around my waist as he leads me further down the hall, like he owns this place. I sense my step mother watching us as we walk away. If she wasn't my enemy before, then she sure was now.