49

"Grandmother then?" I search Mother's face.

"No. I'm sorry, Courtlynn. We aren't blood-related, or related by any law, any union. I simply care for your success, because I know what the opposite of it would mean. I know that people will be comin' for you very soon, and if you believed that this was so much...wait until you sit on a fortune and the people you trust to protect you would rather you die just as well."

"Then-Then I don't get it," I plop down onto the curb.

"What I do get is that Freddie Simons just gave us a lead on where your father is. Whether they're in league with one another is an entirely different question we can't afford to ask. This is the best we're gonna get. We need to be in Arizona right now."

"I have nothing," I say helplessly.

"Thankfully your spy fairy godmother is here," Mother grins. She pulls a key from her pocket and a horn toots from somewhere in the hotel lot 'round back. "Let's go," she announces.

About an hour later, we're driving towards the airport as I catch Mother up on absolutely everything. "Sounds like the big man upstairs was on your side, Courtlynn," she says.

"My hearing is still muddled," I reveal.

"We'll get that all checked out on the plane. For now, let's not worry, love."

"Was Zenaida ever pregnant?" I ask, trying to gauge her reaction to my question.

"Not that I ever knew of," and I sigh with relief as she says this.

"But it could have been a possibility, Courtlynn. One you should be prepared for," her face is emotionless.

"I don't wanna kill any of my sisters," I state.

"Will you lay down your life for Amina to rule?" she turns her head my way, clutching the small wheel of the little Fiat we were in. My bags were in the even smaller backseat, and my seat was propped backwards. The car remains silent. "That's what I thought."

"Mr. Simons is right about the army," I mutter, wanting to change topics, "It'll be more stealthy for just a few people to go in. For me to just go in."

"But you still want to try and find Mindy Dahle?" she asks me.

"Yes," I answer tightly, "She's stood by my side and we need back up just in case."

"The best route would be to not attract the attention of the local gang. Unless we want their help. That is, if they're willing to give it," she adds.

"Maybe I can hide M and her guys off somewhere out of there detection. I mean, they didn't detect my father and my family yet," I shrug.

"He's a seasoned crime lord, with less people under his belt than that entire army. Of course he went by undetected, child."

"I want to give you the honor to kill my father," I tell her abruptly. "I'll handle everyone else."

Mother seems speechless for the first time ever.

"But-But why, Courtlynn?"

"You deserve to avenge the death of your daughter, and, of your possible grandchild, Mother."

"Yes. Yes. Yes, thank you," she says very quickly.

"Only my father will be able to confirm whether Zenaida had been with child. Either him, or Hadassa," I state. "I'll get the truth. You deserve that much closure."