31

Ali drops me and Dieson off at the estate, and he sorely works his way up to the doorway as I try not to giggle.

We make it inside, both shower in our rooms, and I hop right into breakfast. Dieson only raises a brow, likely remembering that I said I wouldn't make him shit out of this kitchen.

When I'm done, a plate of bacon, a plate of scrambled eggs, toast, oatmeal, grits, and potato wedges, and homemade kolaches are on individual plates, laid out buffet style in the kitchen. Two plates at a time, I carry them into the dining room, where I find that Dieson has surprisingly set the table.

Once all of the food from the kitchen is transferred into here, we both sit down and dig in. It's quiet for awhile until he finally says something. I'm so stuck in how surreal this whole experience has been that I don't hear him the first time he softly says my name.

"Yes?" I look up.

Dieson's cheeks turn a shade darker, and I hear him clear his throat, turning his face away from me.

"Dieson?" I ask, confused.

"I told Ethayn that you were my girlfriend in the sprinter because I figured she'd want you to join the orgy," he explained out of nowhere. "I still wasn't sure if she would or not last night, but fortunately she didn't. I was tryna...look out for you," he said slowly, as if 'looking out' for another person wasn't something he typically did.

"Oh," I tore off a piece of turkey bacon, studying its crispness before biting into it. I glance up and Dieson's still watching me. What else did he want me to say?

"I hope NJ's alright."

"M will take good care of him," I tell Dieson, because no matter how much I despise her just turning me over like that, when you work out all her options in the moment, turning me over was her and NJ's best bet.

"But who shot into the car? Why would my father's guys risk injuring me?" I question, holding Dieson's gaze. "Could somebody else want your head too, besides my father? Somebody else who might have wanted NJ kidnapped or dead just 'cause of you?"

Dieson rubbed at his eyes, really working into it and sighing, head down as he leaned on the palms of his hands. "I hired some men to follow behind Cerbey's guys." My stomach felt sour, like I had just been food poisoned. "You got NJ shot?"

"They didn't know," Dieson looked up at me, his eyes brimming over with tears, "They only had orders to shoot at Cerbey's men."

"That," I stand up from the table, unable to sit across from Dieson, "or your men aren't as loyal as you think."

I leave, heading for the staircase, but Dieson jogs after me, wiping his greasy fingers on a napkin as he blocks my way. "Courtlynn, listen."

"I don't have to, Dieson. I don't even have to do this anymore," I turn away from him, then remembering that I didn't like my back towards him, I pivot with my arms crossed. "I could my father to have you killed."

"You could. But you wouldn't," he says, almost sure of himself.

"Why?" I demand, looking at him carefully.

"We both have something to earn. I have a new plan. Something that will ensure my life. Will make me appear valuable before your father. Something that will secure the new club. Will free you from Cerbey's shackles," he goes on.

"What is it, Dieson?" I demand.

"Marry me, Courtlynn."

My hand hits my mouth as I try to fight back laughter. "And what is marrying me going to do for anybody? Ali is going to take over the family business once my father dies or retires. I'm nothing. I'm a bastard to the Cerbey throne. I'm not Hadassa's kid. Even their security treats me different than the rest of the family."