Prologue

"Ms. Price, what are you doin'?"

Six year old Elvis Cridlington was asking the 20 something woman who ran the newly opened Price Grocery Store. Dilys rolled her eyes at the boy's interruption from her conversation with her boyfriend Fidelis on the phone. Reluctantly, she put the phone down and stirred her cup of tea.

"Elvis, what do ya want??"

"I wanna know what you're doin'??" Elvis asked. 

Dilys sighed.

"Well, actually," the little boy admitted, "could you, maybe, read my tea leaves? I gotta cup!" He held up a little cup with some tea and tea leaves in it.

"Well," Dilys Price said, remembering that her grandmother had once predicted that she would have a son that would be Prime Minister of Wales, "alright."

Dilys took the cup and 'read' the tea leaves. "Oh!!" she gasped, nearly dropping the cup, but quickly placed it down on the table. 

"What is it, Ms. Price???"

"You're-you're-"

"What?!"

"Hush and let me finish, boy!" Dilys snapped. She closed her eyes and said, "twenty five years from now... you're going to be married!"

"Really?"

"Yes, and you're going to have five children! Or maybe four. I'm not sure."

"To who?!" Elvis asked, jumping up and down.

"To a beautiful girl from Newtown! She's going to adore you, and you'll be happily married for over 50 years! You'll be soulmates, destined for each other!"

"Oh boy!!"

"Elvis!"

The little boy turned his head to see twelve year old Sam Jones standing in the doorway. "C'mon, I promised your mother I'd walk you home!"

"Oh, right!" Elvis laughed, remembering his older friend, "bye, Ms. Price!"

And with that the two boys left. Dilys sighed to herself and muttered:

"That boy, getting married! Honestly, what next? Trevor Evans is going to marry Doris Drake? She's engaged to Basil Steele!"

And with that, she picked up the phone again, and continued to talk with her boyfriend. 

Meanwhile, in Newtown, seven year old Penny Morris was sitting atop a tree, with binoculars in hand, watching the little town of Pontypandy. She had blonde hair in a braid and wore overalls.

"Ain't it cool?" she whispered before turning around. 

"Phoenix!" she called to her younger sister, "where are you?!"

The four year old emerged from a cluster of branches, looking scratched and bruised. "Oy, stoopid branches!" she said, "what is it now, Penn?"

"Wouldn't it be fun to live in Pontypandy??"

"Not really. Daddy says they don't have anything."

"Oh, Daddy's never been there. Besides, it'd be-"

"Girls! Dinner time!" It was their mother. 

Penny sighed as she took Phoenix's hand and said, "c'mon, let's go."

However, if Penny Morris had looked for just a moment longer, she would have seen little Elvis Cridlington walking home with his friend Sam.