Chapter 11

Joe Sparkes, Sam Jones, and Arnold McKinley were working away on their invention, which still remained unknown. 

Sam wiped his brow, "whoo, this is tough work, Joe."

"I know," Joe replied, "it's tough work, but it'll help the town..."

"So, are we basically resurrecting this thing?" Arnold asked, sounding a bit nervous.

"Kinda," Sam replied, scratching his head, "it didn't work the first time, started to malfunction after he became a hero."

"How did be become a hero?" Arnold and Joe asked.

"Ah, this was before you two moved here," Sam said, rubbing his slightly stubbled chin, "you see, it all began about 6 or 7 years back, when I decided to invent a robot. Bentley, he was called. He had a wonderful British accent and was terribly polite. Sarah and James, well, they weren't even born yet, I believe, but Charlie found it fascinating. Scared Elvis, though. But before everyone could warm up to him, Norman placed a game inside his commands, and nearly killed Penny. Beastly business, she nearly died. Elvis freaked out, but Charlie found the tape in time. Bentley saved Penny, but-well-afterwards-"

"He started to malfunction?" Arnold asked, with a note pad and a pen, writing down all that Sam said.

"Yes," Sam answered solemnly, "he started to malfunction. It got so bad that we had to shut him down. Elvis and I dismantled him and placed him in my shed, never to see the light of day until now..."

"Well, when the old station was torn down, you removed all of the stuff from the shed outside," Arnold said.

"Yes, but it was in a box," Sam said, "it was only by accident that I rediscovered it last week. It looked so amazing... I couldn't believe that I had built it myself, without any help. I called upon you two to build it up again..."

"But why are we being so secretive?" Arnold asked, being so young and innocent, something that reminded Sam of his early days as a fireman, "I mean, it's not like Bentley was dangerous or anything. Was he?"

"Well, no," Sam answered sheepishly, "but I don't know how the town is going to react. After Penny was nearly killed, well, someone might just get mad."

"Dilys, probably," Joe joked. Sam and Arnold chuckled a bit. 

"So, how's Trev?" Joe finally asked, "did ol' Steele get all mad because of Ellie's 'plan?'"

"Well, we left before the others could tell him," Arnold answered, "so we really don't know."

Joe gulped, "well, she might get fired. Ellie, I mean."

"Well, you know WHY she did it," Sam said.

"Yeah," Joe replied, "somethin' about Elvis and Penny being in love-"

"WHO'S IN LOVE NOW???!!!!"

The three men turned around to see 10 year old Norman Price standing before them, having heard the WHOLE conversation.

"Uh, Norman," Sam said, trying to make his voice sound calm, "it's NOT what you think it is..."

"I always thought that Elvis had a crush on Penny, but I didn't expect THAT!!" Norman said, genuinely shocked, "wowee!!"

"Norman, could you, uh, perhaps," Sam said, fumbling with his words, "leave?"

"And you're REbuilding Bentley the Robot?!?! I remember him! I was so little, only 3 or 4!!"

"Norman, this area is strictly off limits," Arnold told the young boy sternly, "we're doing dangerous testing here."

"Oh, alright," Norman said, kicking a nearby rock with his shoe, "you guys NEVER let me have ANY fun!" The young Price then slunk off to wherever he was going next.

Sam rolled his eyes, "kids."