Chapter 22

After what seemed like an eternity of thinking, brainstorming, planning, there was a knock on the door that startled the entire team.

"W-who??" Sam finally stuttered out, "h-how?!"

"I'll get it," Steele said, who seemed to be the most calm of them all, "don't worry, Fireman Sam."

The old man opened the door, only to see Jerry Lee Cridlington.

"Jerry Lee??" he asked, "wha-"

"Boyce-" Jerry Lee stuttered out, then fell to the ground. Everything then went black for the blonde Cridlington.

When he came to, everyone in the Rescue Team was standing over him. Nurse Flood was checking his heartbeat with a stethoscope, a worried look upon his face.

"What happened?" he asked, sitting up, "where am I???" He was still coming too, and everything was blurred. Where on earth was he???

"You're in the fire station," Nurse Flood said, "and you've been passed out for the last hour."

"An hour?!" Jerry Lee said, "why am I-" Then it came to him.

He remembered.

"Boyce is coming," Jerry Lee said, "I-I saw him..."

He collapsed down onto the mat in the break room of the fire station, although he didn't close his eyes. Ellie put a cloth on his forehead. Jerry Lee felt sweaty and tired, but a chill ran through his blood...

"You've got a slight fever," Nurse Flood said, giving him a cup of water which he gulped down gratefully, "it's only 99 degrees. You should be better by tomorrow."

"Okay," Jerry Lee gulped, wiping his mouth on his sleeve, "I-I just-"

"Uh, Cridlington," Steele said, "you don't have to explain."

"I-I-" Jerry Lee said, "I was walking home, w-when I saw Boyce... he said he was coming to Pontypandy Fire Station. Oh, I'm so worried that he's going to-"

"Jerry Lee, snap out of it!!!" Steele shouted, "for God's sake, Boyce is not going to MURDER us all!"

"He's had a panic attack," Nurse Flood explained, "a very bad one, but he should be alright with some rest. I doubt Boyce is going to do anything bad..."

"You don't understand," Jerry Lee said, swaying back and forth, "Steele stole his fiancé..."

Nurse Flood raised an eyebrow, "what do you mean?" She turned to Steele, and said, "do you have anything to say about this?"

"Er, well," Steele said, rubbing the back of his neck, "it'll take a while, but, well, okay..."

Over the next 45 minutes, Steele explained the whole story involving him, Boyce, and Doris.

Nurse Flood was in shock afterwards. "What?" she said, then turned to Jerry Lee, "Jerry, what did Boyce say?"

"He said, 'I'm going to Pontypandy Fire Station, to talk to Steele. It'll be nice, that talk...' the way he said 'talk,' it sounded..."

"Yes, I understand," Nurse Flood said, putting a hand on the young man's shoulder, "it's going to be alright, Jerry Lee. Boyce isn't going to harm us."

"Well," Steele said, rubbing his chain, "you never can be sure about that darn Horatio Boyce. He's a bad egg. Always was one..."