Chapter 2: The Journey Begins! First Stage Of Orientation

It has been three hours since Navar, Miri, and Jax set out from Wellfort. With each passing minute, Navar's foot tapping grows louder and more frantic as he grows restless from the long ride. "Ugh, I'm so bored. Can't we just get there already?"

With a light shove, Jax sends the chessboard skidding across the seat toward Navar. "How about another chess match to pass some time?"

"No, because every time we play it, I get beaten in less than five moves."

"You get beaten in less than five moves cause you're an idiot, and you keep falling for the same trap," says Miri.

"Shut the hell up, Miri; I'd like to see you try!"

"Hey, kid, be quiet! People are trying to sleep here!" says the bus driver over the speaker.

"My bad," Navar leans his head against the cool glass of the bus window and closed his eyes. "I'm gonna take a nap. As Navar sleeps, a crowd's applause fills his ears as he pictures himself atop a hill. "Navar! Navar! Navar!" says the group several times. Unbeknownst to Navar, he doesn't realize it's Jax and Miri trying to wake him. Miri slaps him across his cheek, the sting of her hand waking him from his slumber. "Ow, Miri, that hurt!"

"You wouldn't wake up. I had no choice."

"Mean slaps aside, where in the world are we?"

"We're passing through a tunnel, and we are a few minutes from the capital. That's why we tried to wake you up," says Jax.

As the bus passes through the dark tunnel, Navar, Miri, and Jax are captivated by the breathtaking view of the capital city's illuminated nighttime lights. "Wow!" they say in unison.

The bus driver turns on the P.A button. "We'll be there shortly, everyone. Get your luggage ready so we can have a steady transition for the next ride."

Once the bus reaches its stop, the passengers grab their luggage and exit the vehicle. As Navar, Jax, and Miri step out into the street, the cacophony of car horns, shouting, and bustling echoes around them, overwhelming them. "So umm. Where to?" asks Miri.

They scour the area for a hint until Jax sees a screen mounted on a wooden sign that says 'Draftees' "I think we're supposed to go there..."

When they reach the sign, it plays a computerized female robotic voice message. "Greetings, Ozania Draftees. We hope your travel was safe and worth your time. Because of the time being late, we suggest you all get some rest. If you are a draftee, you can use your ticket or registration form to get a room in a nearby hotel. Thank you for deciding to become a proud fighter for Ozania, and we'll be glad to see you at the orientation in the morning."

The message finishes, and the screen beeps as it releases maps for each draftee. "Let's find a hotel," Jax unfolds the map and runs his fingers across it, searching for the closest hotel.

While Miri and Jax discuss where to spend the night, Navar spots a gift shop and points it out. "Oh, look, a gift shop! Let's go there!"

"Navar, we just got off a long train ride. We can go another time," says Miri.

"You're no fun, Miri; you're always such a buzzkill! Must you always ruin the fun in everything?"

"Oh, right, I'm such a "buzzkill" for trying to make sure we don't show up to the orientation all tired. Yeah, that makes sense. Why do you have to be such an annoying idiot all the time?"

Navar's lips curve into a snarl as he grits his teeth. "Why you!"

"Can't you two go one day without gettin' into an argument, jeez? Let's go to the hotel and get some sleep, Capiche?" asks Jax.