Chapter 36: The Goblin Genocide! Overlord Flashback Part 1!

As Rai recounts the events of the Goblin Genocide, we enter the POV of Overlord and his family on the Ozania Planet of Terraria 44 years ago. Their house is a quintessential suburban home, the rough surface of the brick walls providing an intriguing texture to its appearance. Isamu, a tall, bald Goblin man, steps out from the kitchen, a faint smell of coffee from his white mug wafting through the air. He's wearing a crisp, white, long-sleeve shirt paired with a pair of dark brown dress pants and brown overalls, finished off with a pair of light brown loafers. He sits on a comfy white and black polka dot recliner, sipping his tea while he reads the newspaper.

Kiyo, a pregnant adult goblin with long, chestnut-brown hair and bright, hazel eyes, descends the wooden steps, her long, suave dark red dress swishing against her shins. Isamu looks toward her with a casual smile as he hears the creaking of the stairs from up above. "Good afternoon, darling. I hope you slept well."

"I did indeed, and I'm glad you kept up on house chores. I think I slept in a little too late."

"It's ok; you're up in time to see the appointment of the new Emperor of Ozania."

"Really, I tho- OOh," Kiyo feels a gentle thump against her stomach from the baby's movements. "Hey, come here, Isamu. I think our little baby is kicking."

Isamu walks toward her and places his hand on her pregnant stomach. "I think she's excited to get out of that tummy."

"Yeah, but you don't have to wait any longer, you-" Suddenly, the sound of hurried footsteps scratching the pavement gathers their attention. Isamu walks to the window and sees three younger goblins approaching the house. "Here they come. The floodgates are open."

The door flies open, and three goblin adolescents come tumbling in, their eyes wide with excitement. One is a 16-year-old goblin with a cheerful outfit comprising a white and red tropical-themed polo, tan shorts, and red tennis shoes. His hair is cut short and wavy, with a deep brown shade, and his eyes have a lighter, honey-amber hue. His name is Kazumi.

Another is a petite 14-year-old girl with a white sundress decorated with pink flowers, her dark brown hair tied up in a ponytail, and her hazel eyes with a look of innocence. Her name is Mariko.

Finally, another is a young, bald, 7-year-old goblin wearing jean shorts and a plain blue t-shirt, his demeanor somber. His name is Kazz.

Kazumi bounds toward Isamu with a jubilant look on his face. "Hey, Dad, guess what?"

Isamu holds out his hand to slow down Kazumi and laughs. "Hold your horses, turbo. We're waiting on the announcement of the Emperor."

"Really?"

"Yeah, come on, take a seat."

Mariko and Kazumi sink into the plush brown leather of a three-seated couch while Kazz trudges upstairs with his head down. "Hey, son, don't you wanna watch the Emperor Election Results?" asks Isamu.

"No thanks, I'm tired," Kazz steps inside his room, the door clicking shut behind him.

Isamu's brow furrows as he glances at Kazumi. "What's wrong with him?"

"A Warrior today told him it's likely he'll never awaken his JōKai."

"Ok, I'll be right back, guys. I'll see if I can cheer him up," Isamu ascends the steps, the wood creaking beneath his weight as he approaches the door. "Kazz, is everything ok?"

"..."

Isamu tilts his head toward the wooden door so Kazz can hear him more clearly. "Can I come in?" Kazz's tiny feet make a dancing-like sound on the floor as they approach the door, then he opens it with a light push. "What's wrong, son?"

"..." Kazz keeps his back to him, the silence between them heavy.

"Kazumi told me what happened at training today."

Kazz turns toward Isamu, his face wet with tears, a broken sniffle audible in the air. Isamu crouches down and places his hands on his son's shoulders, looking into his eyes with assurance. "You're just like me when I was younger. It took me a while to awaken my JōKai. Then I trained for a while, and before you know it, I became a captain in the Ozanian Army."

Kazz's shoulders stay slumped, and he stares at the ground, despite Isamu's attempts to lift his spirits. "I got something for you, son," Isamu digs around in his pocket until he holds up a Gold necklace with a clock that whirs as it works. "Look me in my eyes, my son," Kazz makes eye contact upon demand. "Never rush time, no matter what. This will remind you that everything good in life comes at the right time. Let it come naturally, and I promise you, my son, you will receive great rewards."

Isamu drapes the necklace around Kazz's neck, its soft texture soothing to his fingertips. Kazz rubs his eyes and smiles, his face still wet with tears. "Thanks, Father."

"I'm sure you'll awaken your power. Just give it time."

Kazz and Isamu share a tight embrace. "Now come on, Kazz, let us watch the appointing of the Emperor," Isamu and Kazz step down the steps and make their way to the side of the couch. "Honey, has anyone been appointed?"

"No, not yet," says Kiyo

"Now, the election results are in. The newest emperor of Ozania is... "Rozar Kiyosaki!" says the news anchor.

The moment Isamu hears the results, his hands tighten into fists. "This can't be. Why is he elected?"

"What's wrong, Dad?" asks Kazumi.

"That man has a history hatred toward Goblins and Elves. For decades, he's been pushing this anti-goblin and elf agenda, and now that he's elected, he can enact any of those laws he wants."

"If he's known for having hateful thoughts toward the Goblins, how did he even get in?"

"Your guess is as good as mine."

"And now the new Emperor Rozar will make a speech!" Isamu presses the power button on the TV. "Listen, guys, come at 8:00 PM. He can begin enforcing policies to no avail. For now, the three of you will be up in the room with your mother with the door locked."

They nod and start up the stairs, the door closing behind them as they reach the master bathroom. The silence becomes deafening, and the anxious anticipation is palpable as the uncertainty for their well-being rises. "Mom, I'm scared," says Kazz.

Kiyo goes to Kazz and gives him a gentle nuzzle. "Don't worry, honey your father and I will make sure all of you stay safe."

At precisely two hours past 8:00, Isamu hears an aggressive knock on the door. Isamu walks to the door and peers through the peephole, seeing two men with eerie red eyes and swirled pupils in black and red robes on the doorstep, flanked by soldiers wearing the same clothes and with the same unnerving eyes. Isamu opens the door to have one of them approach him. "By the jurisdiction of the Ozanian Empire, you and your family are all under arrest. If you want them to escape safely, I suggest you comply."

Isamu whips his head around in the stairwell's direction. "Kiyo, kids, come on," Once they all come down the stairs and exit the home, they're placed in cuffs. Kazz and his family clamber into the dank, windowless, brown metal flying training filled with other goblins and elves. "If you try to escape, your collars will explode. I suggest you don't do so if you want to live," A soldier closes the door, leaving the Goblins in darkness.