Chapter 14: Jax's First Phase Of The Cadet Exams! A Series Of Tough Puzzles!

We now shift to the POV of Jax beginning his Cadet Exam. Before he enters the building, he observes Navar and Miri entering their exam building and grins at them with conviction. "Don't worry, guys, I'll pass this exam. I promise!"

Jax ventures down the dusky corridor, and when he enters the exam room, he's greeted by a man with a golden tan complexion, glossy brown hair, and olive green eyes. "Hey, Mr. Okayasu, we're glad you could make it. Now I'll let your tardiness slide since no one is perfect but don't make it a habit."

"Thank you, sir," Jax glances around the room, noticing the metal chairs and desks as he searches for an open spot. "Hey Jax, sit with me!" said a familiar voice.

Rojo gives Jax a welcoming smirk as he gestures to the chair next to him with his hand. "Rojo!" Jax's cheeks flush with delight as he moves to sit beside him. After the 20 recruits are seated, Shoda strides to the front of the room. "Greetings, everyone. My name is Shoda Masaki, Rank Senior Hacker of the Engineer Division, and I will be your instructor for the first phase of the Cadet Exam."

"The Cadet Exam is separated into 3 phases. And for this first phase, it's a test of your mental fortitude by solving riddles. Questions before I hand out papers?"

"…"

"I'll hand everyone a sheet of paper to begin the first phase. For each riddle, you will be given ten minutes to solve them."

Shoda's hand moves across the whiteboard, creating a riddle with the black dry-erase marker. "I am only one color, not one size. I am stuck at the bottom, yet I easily fly. I am present during a bright gleaming sun but absent during the powerful showering rain. I do no harm and no pain. What am I?"

"For this first riddle, you may use the classroom itself and then seated next to you as help. Get started!" The testers observe the class for clues directly after the cue. "Present during a gleaming sun, yet absent during the powerful showering rain. What the hell does that mean?" asks Rojo.

Jax surveys the classroom, trying to find some sign that will help him unravel this puzzling conundrum. "If he told us, we can examine the classroom for hints. There's a hint somewhere in here. But where?" Jax thinks to himself.

"7 minutes left!" says the instructor.

As he continues to observe, Jax can't help but pick up on something unusual about Shoda. "He hasn't taken a step from his place since he gave the riddle. Not only that, he's standing directly in the light. If I remember correctly, he mentioned, "He is present during a gleaming sun but gone during the rain. If he were to turn off the light from where he's standing, what would vanish?"

Jax's face breaks into a smile as he finally finds the answer. "That's it! It's a shadow!" Jax thinks to himself.

Rojo turns his gaze towards Jax, noticing the widened pupils of Jax's eyes. "Hey, Jax, did you figure it out?"

Jax jabs a finger in Shoda's direction. "He's standing in the light and hasn't moved from that spot since he gave us the first riddle."

"Okay, what does that have to do with anything about the riddle?"

"Rojo, what would vanish if he moved from his spot?"

"What are y-. Oh! You're talking about his sh-"

Jax presses his hand firmly against Rojo's lips, cutting off any noise from it. "Don't say the answer out loud!"

Rojo's face flushes as he rubs his head in embarrassment. "My bad.."

Once the clock strikes the 10-minute mark, a blaring alarm echoes throughout the room. "Ok, pencils down!"