Chapter 38: A Plan Commences! Overlord Flashback Part 3!

Two interminable months have gone by since Isamu's agonizing death. Since then, the number of Goblins and Elves in Ozania has been on the decline because of the enactment of even more ruthless labor regulations and other oppressive laws. We now enter the POV of Kazz, maneuvering a black metal wheelbarrow through the labor field, its wheels creaking with a load of steel. As Kazz continues this grueling work weighty wheelbarrow, the heat radiating from the blazing sun has him on the brink of collapsing from exhaustion. Kazumi approaches Kazz and grasps the load with him, aiding him in wheeling it. "Don't worry, little brother, I won't let you fall."

Kazz and Kazumi trundle the wheelbarrow to the inventory section and place the steel into its assigned places. After sorting the metal, Kazz wipes away the droplets of sweat falling on his forehead. "That was helpful. Thanks, brother."

"Anytime, I'm just doing what Father wished before he died," As they exit the shelf room, the loud, blaring sound of an alarm from the speaker perched atop the wooden pole reverberates through the labor camp. Kazz exhales a heavy, tired sigh of relief, his body relaxing. "Finally, I'm glad today is over!"

Kazuki and Kazz step into the living quarters and see Kiyo wrapping a bandage around Mariko's injured hand. Kazz approaches them with a look of apprehension, his eyes comprehensive with worry. "Oh goodness, what happened?"

"She got pricked in the hand, sewing together some cloth."

"Why didn't you wrap it around her hand when she got pricked?"

"There's a rule against treating injuries while working on jobs; they say it slows down labor."

Kazumi's knuckles whiten in frustration as he holds his fists in a grip of rage. "Can these people get any crueler?!"

"Settle down, Kazumi, don't give into your anger. That isn't what your father wanted."

"Your right, Mother. I'm sorry. It's just that never mind... we have other matters to attend to," Kazumi meanders across the room with a creaky wooden floorboard standing out from the rest. Kazumi glances over her shoulder at Mariko. "Are we clear?"

Mariko uses Farsight to survey the area for any sign of intruders. "Yeah, we are."

"Good," Kazz takes out a crisp, white sheet map and places it onto the large, circular wooden table in the middle of the room. "Kazz, keep watch."

Kazz walks to the window, squinting to catch a glimpse of any potential intruders.

Kazumi's gaze settles on a Goblin of medium height, with short black hair, black eyes, and a silver earring with the word 'hope' dangling from one ear. "Tatsuda, how is that hole your team has been digging?"

"We got it dug 10 feet deep at our discussed location. The only problem is we can't dig it any deeper because the soldiers are becoming suspicious of activity. But I don't think it would be very hard for us to dig a deeper trench once we arrive there."

A short, stocky elf with a shock of spiky, undercut red hair, stormy gray eyes, and a Black Goat Necklace taps Kazumi on the shoulder. "I would like to add that an elf used to live in a string of huts on this planet not too long ago that was a goblin and elf community. They say it's around three miles north of here."

"Good Hiro, we were betting on that. Now we have an intended destination to go to."

Then, everyone shifts to the creaking sound of the door straining to open. "Is it an intruder?" someone asks.

Kazz looks outside and notices a tall, chiseled Elf with medium-length, wavy blonde hair, and deep brown eyes, carrying fabric bags with the rustle of cloth in the air. "No, it's another elf. We're alright."