015. An Italian Cuisine

✧

Mothers aren't fond of Mia Grey.

This has always been a problem due to her damned name. Usually, she wouldn't think too much about it as all it takes is time to get to know her and boom, they're head over heels for her.

Take Mrs. Weasley for example. It took a while for her to warm up to Mia, but after spending a summer with the Weasleys, Molly finally grew to like her and even apologized for being so judgmental.

The same thing happened with Hermione's mother and to her luck, she was off the hook with Harry's because, well, his parents are dead so... Mia just placed herself on their good side. She's just going to have to wait until she's in the grave to fully know if that's the case, but that's just minor details.

What is trying to be said is that mothers aren't a fan of her, which is truly making her much more terrified that Edward's mother won't like her. She might have met a few of the Cullens, but it's different being spoken about than living up to what's being said.

What if she doesn't meet her expectations? What if it takes just one look and she goes, "No, you're not good enough to be my son's best friend," and then Edward decides to listen and cut ties with her?

She wouldn't be this nervous if Bella was attending, but at the last minute, she opted out of dinner. Well, basically out of everything. Being a third wheel to her first dance was out of the question, so Bella thought it'd be best if she asked the one person she could envision enjoying the night with – Jacob Black.

Through it all, Mia's choosing to be optimistic, because if she chooses to dwell on her overthinking, she would ruin it by panicking. Besides, tonight would be her first dance in this small town, so she's not about to wreck it by doubting her likeability.

As "Lovesong" by The Cure plays through the radio, Mia tries sending her worries to the back of her mind. She's not going to get them to like her if she keeps panicking, so what better way than to calm herself by singing one of her favorite songs?

"Whenever I'm alone with you, you make me feel like I am fun again!" Mia belts out the lyrics and Edward smiles at how incredibly off key she is. "However far away, I will always love you!"

Edward makes a turn into the forest road and lets out a chuckle as she applauds herself, "You completely butchered the song."

"Hey!" she snaps. "I felt the song and that's all that matters."

"Yeah, sure," he teases, earning an eye roll from her. He's just glad that her heart has stopped racing uncontrollably and her breathing has become steady. She's been a nervous wreck ever since he told her about this dinner and even if he's tried reassuring her that everything will be okay, her overzealous mind always wins against him.

Mia's about to give one of her remarks, but that's when the Cullen house comes to sight. It's unlike anything she could've imagined. The house is open and is made entirely out of large glass windows that run from floor to ceiling. Its architectural style is quite modern for the time and has a mixture of dark brown colors and gray tones. Surrounding it, the forest serves as a shield from the outside world that she starts imagining what it must look like inside when it's snowing or raining.