046. When The Sun Goes Down

✧

Jackson Winchester turned out to be an avoidant coward.

As if she were the devil in the flesh, he evades her and pretends she's nonexistent. It shouldn't bother her this much, but considering she risked her life to try and help him with his transformation, it angers her and makes her feel like she's been struck in the face.

Mia knows he doesn't owe her anything, but the least he could do is be amicable and not pretend that night didn't happen. Besides, they're both a part of the supernatural. She's a former witch and he's a wizard lycanthrope. Nothing out of this world.

Despite being the most confrontational person, she's resisted the urge of visiting him at the reservation. It's been days and she's been improving in that aspect a lot, but it's getting ridiculous seeing him scurry away like a lamb up for slaughter.

Which brings her to Sam Uley's house, where Jackson has been living since December.

She knocks against the door and through the small window, she sees a reluctant Jackson heading to her. He pauses for a moment and just when he decides on looking away, her last bit of patience wears off. "I can see you. Open the door or I'll kick it down."

Glancing behind his shoulder, Jackson's expression becomes adorned with challenge. A form of teasing in some way. Knowing how much it would irritate her, he leans against the wall and offers that sly smirk that gets under her skin. He knows just where to hit her and loves it.

Following his game would be a foolish thing, but when she gets angry, her rationality refuses to resurface. She takes a deep breath and moves a couple steps back, her jaw and fists clenching as she attempts to regain her calm. Leaving would be the right thing, but that would mean letting him win, which she refuses to allow.

"What do you want, Grey? I would have thought you were familiar with rejection by now," Jackson approaches the door at the same time she does, both of them now facing the other through the slight crack of the entrance.

"And I would have thought you were less of a coward, so it looks like we're both disappointed," she attempts getting through the door, but he pushes it back. It's now when she detests not being a vampire as it would prevent situations like these from happening. One push and she would be inside, but to her misfortune, she's only human without any extraordinary qualities.

"Go home, Grey. Save yourself the embarrassment," Jackson lowers the blinds out of spite and she faintly hears him laughing.

Being avoided is an entirely different thing than being shunned. She can handle being ignored, but having the door pushed against her to keep her out is a whole different case. If this had been anyone else, she would have let it slide, but knowing more about him than she'd wish made her get emotionally involved.

Mia grits her teeth on her walk down the porch steps. She runs a hand through her hair and takes deep breaths, searching for a way to keep her line of patience intact. It's not in her capability to let things go, especially when the other party is to blame.