040. It's Nice To Have A Friend

✧

Slowly, Mia comes to her senses and awakens in an unfamiliar room. Thinking the worst, she jolts up out of bed and searches for the door, but that's when she recognizes her unlikely savior from Halloween night sitting by the corner.

"What are you doing?" Jackson calmly asks, not batting an eye to her bewildered look.

Mia ignores his presence as she takes a look at her surroundings. It's a small living room with a kitchen nearby and there's the aroma of fresh coffee wafting through the air. Just when she looks to the sofa she had been sleeping in, she can't help but wonder if this stranger had been here the entire time.

"Were you watching me sleep?" Mia folds her arms across her chest, glaring at him so heavily that he might as well have turned to stone.

Jackson scoffs in offense, "Don't flatter yourself. You were stirring in your sleep, so I went to check on you. That's when you woke up like a crazy person and started roaming around like you own the place."

"Well that's how anyone would react if they awake in an unfamiliar place," she defends, but can tell it's of no use by the way he seems to be ignoring her explanation. "Speaking of, where the hell am I and who brought me here?"

"You're in Sam's house and he's the one that brought you here."

Sam Uley?

That's when she remembers everything that happened. A pack of wolves attacked Laurent and due to having used her magic to a great extent, she passed out. She figures Sam must have transformed back and taken her here.

"How do you know Sam?" Mia keeps her distance from him, unsure on whether or not to trust his sudden appearance is anything but a coincidence.

"We met a few months back when I visited my uncle for the holidays," Jackson swallows hard and nervously adjusts the collar of his jacket. "I went through a- a rough patch and he helped me. Since then, he's become one of my best friends."

Mia notices how hard he's trying to hide his scar. It reminds her of Remus', but she doesn't want to associate everything to the supernatural (even when she's been right in her suspicions all along). She wants to ask him about it, but understands that if she were him, she wouldn't want to speak about her circumstances.

"It's strange how you completely vanished after you helped me," she chooses to say instead and he's visibly grateful for it. "Since you got involved for no reason, I expected to see you everywhere."

"Oh, you'd like that won't you?" Jackson stands up from his seat and walks closer her. "Did you miss me, Grey?"

Typical flirty banter. It's unoriginal and the last thing that would work on her. If he's trying to get anywhere with her, he should prepare himself to be disappointed.

Instead of granting him a response, Mia shoves past him in the direction of the door. She's not sure how much time has passed, but knowing how worrisome her mother can be, she makes it her mission to head back home before a frantic Isobel performs a locator spell. However, the second she's out the door, she's surprised to find her talking with Sam.