Chapter 24: Twisted Truth

[Furina's PoV]

As days went by, I was lying down in bed, feeling empty and hopeless and was just lost in my own thoughts. I didn't want to move from my bed and felt too weak to come out.

A gentle knock then sounded, coming from outside door, causing my curiosity to peek. I wondered who it was, and after a few seconds of silence, I reluctantly sat up in bed and sighed.

I went over to the door and opened it to see Lumine and Paimon there. It took me a minute to recognize them, as my mind had been drifting off and felt so consumed by all of the thoughts going through my head.

"Furina! We wanted to ask you about— oh, what happened to you? Did you stay up late reading novels again?" Paimon asked with her cheerful tone.

"Furina, is everything okay..?" Lumine asked as her eyes were filled with concern.

I looked at my friends, noticing how they still had a bright mood as they even looked happy to see me. I then became very quiet and didn't look them straight in the eye as my mind drifted off again.

"I'm fine..." I replied, but the sound of my voice sounded weak and hoarse, as if I hadn't spoken in quite a long while.

"Are you sure? It looks like you took a pretty nasty hit." Paimon debated.

I tried to act as if I was okay while I was still feeling completely miserable when I heard them speaking. I felt as if my depression was consuming me entirely and didn't want my friends to notice that I was feeling this way.

My voice continued to sound weak and my eyes were filled with tears as I attempted to cover it up.

"Y-Yeah... I'm fine..." I replied with a weak smile. "What are you two doing here anyway?"

They only both looked at one another before fixing their gaze at me.

"Oh, well, we wanted to ask you if you have seen Y/n since we haven't seen her after she was done, you know, swimming near Elynas."

"...."

Those words caused me to feel an even stronger surge of pain inside my heart. I felt terrible and could only reply to Paimon with a very quiet answer.

"Y/n and I... had an argument a few days back after we went swimming. She left me." I replied, not being able to express my hurt and sadness very well.

"Huh? But we thought you haven't been able to find her when you asked us about her whereabouts since when she came to us after her swimming, we asked her how did it went and told us that the water is fine and all. She didn't even mention that you were with her." Paimon explained.

"...."

I felt my heart sink again after hearing this. It sounds like Y/n had lied and I felt even more hurt now.

It's like she wanted to avoid me and not talk to me at all. I felt like I had done something wrong as I replied with a soft voice.

"I have no idea where Y/n went afterwards. We were together and it seemed like we were getting along just fine, but then there was an argument... and she just left..."

"Argument..? Of what kind?" Paimon asked, wanting to know the reason.

The thought of mentioning Y/n's karma was something that I felt uncomfortable with talking to my friends.

"N-Nothing... It wasn't even a serious or a big argument... It was just a minor disagreement... It's... really nothing..." I lied, not wanting to expose my feelings and what had happened to Y/n.