Chapter 9

CHAPTER NINE

JUSTINE’S POV

After getting home from seeing Elizabeth off from the hospital, I freshened up and got myself something to eat.

I decided to take a little nap before going to the school I taught to sort out some files for the upcoming tests and exams for my students.

The little nap I initially wanted to take turned into a whole 3 hours sleep and when I woke up, it was already late and dark.

I had no choice but to drive my car to the school because it was raining so badly and the sorting of the files was really important.

While sorting out the files, I suddenly heard some footsteps but I was thinking it was either the security person or maybe the janitor of the school.

Suddenly, I heard a loud thud like something hitting the ground and I ran out to check what it was and then, I saw a figure on the floor drenched in water.

I couldn't see the person properly and so I went closer and to my greatest surprise, I saw Elizabeth lying unconscious on the floor.

Not again I exclaimed as I ran over to her.

“Lizzy, Lizzy wake up!!!” I tried waking her up by hitting her face lightly.

I checked her pulse and luckily I found one but it was very weak and she had a very high fever as her temperature was off the roof.

“Hmmm….what…help…noo…” Elizabeth kept mumbling some inaudible words.

I carried her and zoomed off to my car to take her to a hospital but at the same time, I had a rethink and decided to take her to my house since it was only a fever.

I drove off and when we got to my house, I carried her bridal style into my bedroom and dropped her on the bed gently.

I rushed off to get a towel and water and placed the towel on her head trying to reduce her temperature.

She still kept on mumbling some words I couldn't understand and I felt so much pity for her because she was just back from the hospital a few hours ago and now running a very high fever.

I didn't know how long I kept doing it for but I knew that I fell asleep in the process.

The sleep was short lived as I suddenly woke up due to Elizabeth thrashing on the bed and screaming.

I figured out she was having a nightmare and I tried waking her up but to no avail.

Seeing as that couldn't work, I got into the bed and laid beside her pulling her close to myself in a cuddling manner.

She relaxed after a few seconds and fell asleep.

“You now have someone to protect you love and I promise no harm will ever come to you again.” I said to her as I stroked her hair and fell back asleep.

It was morning already and I felt something moving in my lips and as soon as my eyes opened, I saw that Lizzy suddenly took her hand back from my face.

I suddenly sat up and checked her temperature and it was all back to normal.

“Hey love, you are awake.” I said to her.

“What happened???” she asked.

“I saw you lying unconscious at the school and you were running a very high fever and so I brought you here.”

Suddenly, she looked down with a sad look on her face.

“What wrong sweetheart???” I asked out of concern.

“I am so sorry for troubling you again sir..I mean Justine.” she said with tears in her eyes.

“No,no,no dear you did no such thing ok???”

“But I keep disturbing you with my problems over and over again and I am not happy about it at all.”

I smiled and asked myself where I met such an innocent and naive angel.

“It's nothing, I am just glad to help you at your time of need.” I said with a smile on my face.

“Thank you so much but I have to leave now.” she said as he got up from the bed.

“Hell no, you are not leaving until you tell me why you were at school late at night yesterday all drenched in rain.”

“It….it… was nothing…I just wanted to come to school to study.” she said nervously.

“Elizabeth I am not a kid you know, I can actually detect your lies so if you know you want to leave this place, you better tell me the truth or else I will find out myself.” I fake threatened.

She was silent for what seemed like forever while looking down on the floor and biting her fingernails.

“I was thrown out of the house.” she said.

“What!!!!!!!” I yelled out of surprise and anger.

“It is only for a while because I know she will ask me to come back home.” she said, trying to defend her step mother.

“Elizabeth, can you listen to yourself???” I asked out of anger.

“Why are you angry? What did I do??” she said with a sad face.

As much as my blood was boiling at that moment, I didn't want to scare her away, especially now that she had nowhere to go.

“Elizabeth, why do you allow them to do this to you???” I asked all concerned.

“I don't understand.” she said.

“I know everything lizzy, how your step mother and sister maltreat you like you are nothing.”

“But am I not nothing???” she asked with a sad look on her face.

I stood up and walked closer to her as I raised her chin for her to look at my face.

“Lizzy, you are not nothing dear, you are everything and more.” I said.

“So don't you ever allow circumstances and situations to make you demean yourself.” I added.

I wiped off the tears running down her cheeks and gave her a hug.

“I am sorry for getting angry love, I wasn't angry at you but at myself.” I said.

“How???” she asked.

“Never mind love.” I said with a smile on my face.

“I have nowhere to go, Justine.” she said with tears gathering in her eyes.

“Nowhere??? My love, you have a place to stay and that is here, with me.” I said.

“What!!!???”