Chapter 9 - "Casual" Lunch

"So you mean to tell me I'm squeezing you into this Spanx to meet your extremely good looking boss and you're telling me this isn't a date?" Ingrid's says while groaning and yanking my Spanx up my plump thighs and butt

"Well I wouldn't call it a date, isn't it inappropriate for me to be dating him anyway? I mean I'd be no better than Samantha," I say while contorting my body until the Spanx reaches under my boobs.

"Samantha is a bitch so it doesn't count but whatever you say babe, I want to hear all about it when you get back." Ingrid says laying out my chosen gold jewellery and the perfect scent for my outfit.

It was now Saturday. I had another thirty minutes to get ready and my makeup wasn't done yet at all. I also needed to account for my ten minute mental breakdown before leaving to meet him.

"So what's happening then are you both meeting there or?" Ingrid asks as she sits down facing me, currently she was the only one who knew about this whole lunch thing but I knew I'd get around to telling Tom when it was all over.

What Ingrid didn't know is that Oliver and I actually had a small conversation where he offered to pick me up; initially I was going to decline but honestly I wasn't big on taking either public transport or an uber. So I agreed and send him a location extremely close to mine; I also wanted to see what car he drove and so did Ingrid.

During the rest of the week prior to Saturday, we'd smile or slightly wave to each other if we bumped into each other at work and it was so cute and fun that it seemed like a big secret- which is what I liked in my boring little life.

As Ingrid ranted to me about her work life as well as how things were going with her boyfriend I slipped on my knee-length red knitted turtleneck dress and started doing my makeup, I went for a skin tint, concealer and blush combination with a glossy lip since I didn't want anything too heavy if I was going to eat. As the topic got into Ingrid's boyfriends' overbearing mother wanting to change travel plans yet again I was topping up my lipgloss when I heard my phone vibrate on the vanity and began to shrivel up inside.

Which Ingrid sensed so she reached for my phone to check and gave me a knowing look.

He was outside.

"No no no, I know when you make that face it means you're starting to consider cancelling and I'm not going to let that happen, come on let's go! You need this." Ingrid urges me as she spins me and start pushing me towards our front door.

I stand by the entrance and slip on my boots and take a deep breath before looking back at Ingrid. She nods and shoos me out the door and I nervously pout and go to meet Oliver outside.