Chapter 34- A lot of Boxes

James' P.O.V-

I woke up to one text from Lucy:
'Morning:)) Really enjoyed yesterday, you busy today?xxxx'

And I replied instantly:
'Well more like afternoon now, I did have plans but not anymore, got any plans?xxxx'

'That's very out of character, those boats did tire you out!;) Nope, but if you're busy then don't wait around for me!xxxx'

'Ha;) Don't be stupid, it can wait I'd much rather spend the day with you! How about some shopping it's getting a bit chilly out xxxx' I felt my cheeks turn hot as I typed out the message.

'Awhhh cute I forgot how cringy you are:') okay I could do with some warmer clothes, where do you want to meet?xxxx'

We carried on texting the plans for the day out before I quickly jumped into the shower. I usually take forever in the shower but today I was just too excited to go and see Lucy. I quickly rubbed shower gel all over my body and then put some shampoo and conditioner in my hair. I stepped out of the shower and got my skin treatment out of the drawer, I wiped away the condensation from the mirror so there was just a big enough circle for me to see my face. After cleaning my skin and shaving a little I put a little bit of my aftershave on and got dressed.

I leant against the wall outside of Covent Garden tube station were Lucy would be arriving any minute. We were going out for a late lunch before doing some shopping. I scrolled through my phone and favourited some tweets and smiled at the fans going mad when I did.

'Boo!' Two pairs of hands landed on me, 'did I scare ya?'
'Nope,' I looked at her unphased before putting one hand softly on her waist and leaning down to kiss her on her cheek and she blushed.
'Ooh is that after shave I smell? Ooh you have gone all out today McVey,' she teased me.

We walked around seeing all the different street performers, the stilt walkers, the statue people, that man that dresses up like a dog....a lot of talent. Then we made our way to some fancy, quirky, underground restaurant. 'I don't know if I'm cool enough to be in here,' I whispered into Lucy's ear as we queued to get a table. She giggled in response looking around at the strange but aesthetically pleasing decor.

The dinner was lovely, just as we were finishing up Lucy's phone rang, 'oh it's Mum I better take this, sorry,' she rolled her eyes before putting her phone to her ears. I watched as her face turned from a smile to her eyes welling up.
'Excuse me,' I tapped the waiter as he walked past, 'can we please get the bill,' I didn't look at him, my eyes remained on Lucy trying to read her expression but I couldn't. The man returned and I quickly put my card in and payed for the meal.
'It's my Nan, she had a stroke,' Lucy said blankly, she was showing no emotion expect her glossy eyes, 'Mum and Dad were away for a break in Scotland but they are on the way back. I red to pack all of her things because she is really ill and even if she is okay she'll have to go to a home.'
'I'll drive you,' I stood up and put my jacket on.
'You don't have-'
'I know I don't but I am,' I interrupted her.

-

We were stuck in traffic on the way out of London, no changes there. I rarely drive once I am in the city. It was dead silent, the only noise was the noise of the rain against the car. 'I was only talking to her yesterday,' Lucy said blankly, 'she was always so fit and healthy.'
'Awh baby,' I tried to comfort her, 'she's strong, I know she'll be okay.'
'You don't know that though James,' her eyes grew watery.
'Well what ever happens she knows that you love her Luce, that's what matters the most,' I pt my hand on her knee to comfort her.
'Okay,' she put her hand on top of mine.

'What about my parents James? You're going to have to face them,' Lucy said after a while of silence with her hand still on mine.
'Well I'll face them, I need to explain myself to them,' I replied with my eyes on the road, 'sorry' I said removing my hand from hers so I could change the gear.
'I hope they don't make you uncomfortable,' she smiled, but it wasn't really a happy smile it was just a bit empty.
'Lucy it's going to be awkward what ever happens, but it's my mess I need to clean up.'