Chapter 42- The Finale

25 years later
'Mum stop, I swear to god you're the only one who still listens to the radio anymore,' my daughter moaned as I flicked through the station on the car radio.
'I have heard that it's throwback day on radio 1' I turned up the volume as I found the right station.
'I'm driving you for an hour to some music shop to go to a meet and greet for a band you will have forgotten about tomorrow,' I joked. We both had this sense of humour.
'Nice one Mum, we are late anyway I'll be the last in the queue at this rate! I don't want to listen to all of your crap,' she pulled out her phone.
'Charlie! It is not cra-' I stopped realising what song it was, Somebody to You. I sang along to the lyrics the top of my lungs.
'That's it I'm putting my head phones in,' Charlie put her head phones in.
'No no, wait darling this song is written about me,' I smiled.
'Yeah as if,' she rolled her eyes.
'No I swear, I dated the guitarist out of this band for a while.'
'No way...really?' She sounded shocked.
'Yeah. What do you think, I couldn't get a rockstar?' I said seriously.
'Wait so you were with some guy out of a band but now you're with boring old Dad, the accountant,' she laughed.
'Your Father isn't boring,' I laughed. Okay maybe my husband was a bit boring but he brought in the stable money that my family needs, he's a nice guy.

We walked around the shopping centre until we waited for the place the meet and greet is being held. There was an increasing number of teenage girls walking towards a long line. 'Sweetie I'll wait right on this bench here, have fun,' I sat down, Charlie was gone even before I had finished my sentence. I pulled a book out of my bag and tried to make myself as comfortable as I could be on the wooden panels that were already hurting my bum.

After about half an hour, I looked up from my book as I could feel my eyes drooping. I saw a man, who I thought I recognised. He was on the phone. It hit me; James. I studied his side profile just to make sure it was him. He looked pretty much the same as he did all them years ago but his jeans were baggy-er and the buttons of his plaid shirt were done up to the top. He was wearing a leather jacket like he always did, his hair was still styled in a quiff but it wasn't as tall and he had grey strands streaking through it. He had darker, thicker, stubble than I ever remember having.

He put his phone into his jacket pocket, 'no way is that James McVey?' I said jokingly.
He turned around to see who was talking to him and his eyes widened, 'Lucy?' He asked and I nodded.
'That's crazy,' he took me into a hug, 'it's so nice to see you.m you haven't aged a day'
'It's nice to see you too but I wouldn't quite say that,' we broke away from the hug and we sat down in the bench, 'you haven't changed a bit,' I laughed, taking note of his features as he was closer up. He still had those same eyes.
'Bit greyer though,' he laughed messing up his hair, 'so what are you doing waiting around shopping centres, reading books?' He asked picking up my book.
'Oh my daughter, she's meeting some new boy band that she'll be obsessed with for the next month before she moves onto the next,' I laughed looking to see if I could see her waiting in the line, 'what are you doing walking around taking phone calls?'
'Well...the band I manage are doing a meet and greet,' he scratched the back of his neck, I remember him always doing that.
'Oh shit, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it like that,' I tried to dig myself out of the hole I had made for myself.
'No worries, I'm glad that she likes them anyways,' he laughed shaking his head.

We chatted for a while longer. Like half an hour longer just talking about memories we had together and about what happened to The Vamps.

James' P.O.V-

'So tell me about life now then? Married? Girl friend? Kids?' She asked.
'Urm no to married, I'm single well married to the job... Of course I would like a relationship but I'm a little out of practice but I have a little boy so he always comes first,' I smiled, 'His mum didn't want to stick around after he was born, thank god I managed to persuade her to keep him, he's a lil dude,' I opened up to her.
'Ah that's a shame,' she smiled sweetly.
'Yeah, just me and him. That's all I need to be happy. I haven't had a serious relationship for a couple of year, single Dad with a busy job, who has to work away a lot doesn't scream come and get me,' I laughed it off, before taking my phone up to show her my lock screen which was my son, 'there he is, Jake. He's 7.' The picture was of him with a big cheesy grin, wearing my sunglasses that are way to big for his face. I laughed at the picture.
'Awh he is a picture of you James, I'm bet you're an amazing Dad,' she smiled looking at the photo still.
'I try,' I laughed and locked my phone screen, 'he's here today, give me two seconds and I'll get him.'